PDA

View Full Version : Help! Detailing place went overboard with ozone.

D. Tail
05-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a used car. The car dealership made the unfortunate decision to disguise some organic smell (dog presumably) with lots and lots of perfume/air "freshener." I took the car to a detailing place, and they cleaned the fabric of the interior and then ozone-treated the car overnight. When I got the car back, the animal smell was gone, but the perfume was still there and very noticeable. I called the detailing place, and they said, "No problem, bring it back, we`ll ozone it over the weekend."

When I got the car back this time, there was a very strong biting chemical odor in the car, and the steering wheel was strangely sticky. I read online that ozone can oxidize surfaces like plastic and rubber, so that`s what must have been going on. I let the car air out for a few hours, and when I got back in, the smell was still pretty strong. I got worried and stopped by the detailing place. The owner sniffed the car and said, "No problem, that`s what the ozone treatment smells like. Will go away." It`s been three days and a night of frequent airing, and the smell is still noticeable. It`s faint, but it`s still there a little bit. I rubbed down the steering wheel with a 50% alcohol solution, and the stickiness is gone.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else had or done ozone treatments this intense? What were your experiences with the treatment smell? Many sources say the smell should be gone after a few hours. Others say a few days.

2. Since ozone is so unstable, what I am smelling must be the product of the oxidization, correct? Are there any known health risks associated with oxidized plastic/rubber surfaces? It sure doesn`t sound very healthy.

3. Is there anything other than airing the car a lot that I can do to get rid of the smell?

Thanks so much!

MiVor
05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
I haven`t had this experience (thankfully) so I`m just `spit ballin` here... if it was me, I`d leave it open and position a fan or two to force a large volume of air through it. Then I might consider spraying some Febreze.

Justins00ss
05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
The ozone smell will dissipate eventually. If you can. Leave it open in a garage for a day or 2.

Ronkh
05-21-2015, 04:43 PM
If it doesn`t go away, contact forum member JSFM35X

He might be able to steer you in the right direction

D. Tail
05-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the input, all! Much appreciated.