PDA

View Full Version : Water spots...

WuNgUn
05-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I lkive in a community that has very hard water.
Today, while washing my car, I was not able to keep it from spotting! It took me make 30 minutes to do the complete wash, all the while I was trying to keep the finish wet to prevent spotting.
I was in the shade, and it`s overcast, yet I had hard water spotting!How do you prevent spotting?
BTW, I have a coat of CrystalGlo on, and Mother`s carnuba...
Thanks

joe.p
05-05-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/waterfilterkit2.html This is an option for you, i`m not sure this is the way you want to go..

cwcad
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Are these spots removeable? I mean did you try to use a waterless wash QD? Often times these spots are easily removed.

You might consider using a QD when dying your vehicle. I use Poorboy`s S&W sprayed lightly over the surface when using a WW drying towel. This might help mitigate your spotting problems.

WuNgUn
05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Viable options...I like the idea ofd the filter kit...very nice!
So when I`m drying with my WW MF, I should just spray some QD on the wet car while I`m drying? Does this help a lot, because with the WW by itself, I have to press rather heavily to wipe off the spots, and I don`t want to rub at all on the finish.
I`ll give it a try next wash, and see how she goes..
Thanks

joe.p
05-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Viable options...I like the idea ofd the filter kit...very nice!
So when I`m drying with my WW MF, I should just spray some QD on the wet car while I`m drying? Does this help a lot, because with the WW by itself, I have to press rather heavily to wipe off the spots, and I don`t want to rub at all on the finish.
I`ll give it a try next wash, and see how she goes..
Thanks
I find that the conditions i wash my car depend on the amount of waterspots i get. For instance on warm days if the panels are hot,if the sun is directly on the car or windy conditions that start to dry the car before i get to the wet areas with my WW. It also depends on which car shampoo i am using,what ever the case may be you will have to determine what you can do to eliminate the water spots as much as possible, because they leave an unsightly appearance that will deminish your hard work.

kaos
05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
When I did my last wash, I tried the method of misting a little Spray & Gloss onto the wet surface and then drying with a ww mf. The results were awesome. A nice glossy, slick surface without having to go back and do S&G as a second step. It was a real timesaver, and took care of any spots that may have been left behind from water that dried before I got to it. I usually find that I have to wash the top of the car first (hood, decklid, and everything from the bottom of the windows up), dry it, then wash each side and dry it right away in order to avoid waterspots. Now that I`ve discovered the S&G method, I should just be able to do the whole thing, and then dry it all at once, with no spots. This is, of course, on a car that`s already detailed, and just being washed. If you`re about to polish anyway, then don`t worry about a few spots, they`ll come right out with the polish.

Tex Star Detail
05-05-2006, 05:53 PM
You could use QEW and wash/dry one panel at a time.
I was turned on to QEW by Kirk (CWCAD) and have not looked back since.
It is my go to wash when I am out on the job. Thanks Kirk!

Solo Cali
05-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Invest in a "DI" unite. The best thing I ever did was switch over to DI water.

There is "NOTHING" better............

BlackSunshine
05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Another tip to minimize spotting is to remove your hose attachment...start at the top and flood all the panels....most of the water should sheet off the car before you start to dry it....it`s a time saver.