PDA

View Full Version : Chrome help needed.

Pages : [1] 2

94 NDTA
05-11-2015, 09:01 PM
2746927470I`m in the midst of bringing a car back to its former glory. This thing really shined, and I detailed the crap out of it when I was younger. I took on a project to make it faster, life happened, and it got pretty neglected. It was always stored indoors, covered, and was decently taken care of while it sat. I am taking baby steps, one thing at a time, as I get it back to its former glory. I had a little time to tackles the rims, which in the past a little nevr dull, and seal them with some zaino and I was good to go. I thought this, would be easy, right.

looks pretty good huh?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Hazerd64/D0E7202D-71CF-45DF-9A9E-6496128F5F3E_zpsbj6gr88k.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Hazerd64/16CB7DE8-BDF7-4F05-A7AD-FBC3214BEF6A_zpsoavhk71w.jpg

I am sick to my stomach as to how much I neglected this car. It goes like a banshee, I guess that`s a positive. These rims maybe have 2500 miles on them.
What can I do to get these back? Steel/copper wool? I already have a sealant for when I get the rims back to life. Help!

Edit: I guess we can`t link pictures. Lame.

MiVor
05-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Have you tried a good metal or chrome polish?

94 NDTA
05-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Have you tried a good metal or chrome polish?
If you read it again, I have tried nevr dull.

tom p.
05-12-2015, 06:51 AM
These rims maybe have 2500 miles on them.

What can I do to get these back? Steel/copper wool? I already have a sealant for when I get the rims back to life. Help!

So, the wheels are fairly new? Have they been exposed to bad weather?

If that`s pitting we`re looking at in the 2nd foto, you may be past the point of no return. Could the chrome plating have been defective?

Ronkh
05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
2nd pic looks like pitting

if it is, it needs to be completely refinished. sorry

94 NDTA
05-12-2015, 07:45 AM
So, the wheels are fairly new? Have they been exposed to bad weather?

If that`s pitting we`re looking at in the 2nd foto, you may be past the point of no return. Could the chrome plating have been defective?
The wheels are about 10 years old...yeah. I THINK the spots will come out, I just need to be a little more aggressive with it. I pushed fairly hard in a discreet corner of the rim with my MF buffing towel, and they lessened. They didn`t go away completely, but lessened. I think I just need something more powerful.

as far as bad weather, I live in ND, but have always had it garaged/covered, never drove it in the winter. It took me 6 years to finish my project for health/house/baby reasons, so it did a lot of sitting.

tom p.
05-12-2015, 08:25 AM
If you don`t believe it`s pitting, I`d trying machine polishing with a very fine polish so you can determine if that will help...

94 NDTA
05-12-2015, 08:45 AM
I might do that. This morning I did go to a really discreet area of the rim and with my fingernail I was able to remove some of the spots. I really don`t believe it`s pitting.I just don`t think I`m using something strong enough.

Accumulator
05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
If the problem is penetration of the plating down to the basemetal, then the plating is compromised and there`s only so much you can do. Healthy plating is impermeable, and it`s healthy plating that looks Autopian-good.

That`s not to say you can`t make them a whole lot better with a Chrom Polish that contains both chemical cleaners and effective abrasives. But whether it`ll be good enough for you, well...just have to see. But you need to go beyond NevrDull (which I`ve retired for various reasons, though I did like it back in the `70s).

94 NDTA
05-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Any suggestions on what to try? I honestly feel like it is on the surface, just the nevr dull is not strong enough.

ShawnF350
05-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Poorboys ProPolish2

or they have a new HD Aluminum &Metal polish which worked great on a spotted up Weber grill.

94 NDTA
05-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Poorboys ProPolish2

or they have a new HD Aluminum &Metal polish which worked great on a spotted up Weber grill.

And use what to buff/polish? Brass wool? Foam pad? Etc.

You can see from the pics, there is a streak coming from the spots.

Maybe a heavy duty wheel cleaner is in order? I have p21s wheel cleaner, but I don`t know how strong it is (it`s not the gel)

Accumulator
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Any suggestions on what to try? I honestly feel like it is on the surface, just the nevr dull is not strong enough.

Chrome Polish from Optimum, or the Meguiar`s "Metyl" or whatever they call their NXT-line stuff (can never remember those cutesy spellings). Griot`s is OK but it`s a pricey little bottle. I`ve also done OK with M205.

The P21s stuff is *VERY* gentle, almost as gentle as Griot`s Wheel Cleaner. Nice for regular upkeep, but not what`s called for here IMO.

Maybe somebody with more experience (with messed up wheels) will recommend some good/safe Acidic Wheel Cleaner, but the only stuff like that I`ve ever used was the house brand from Top of the Line.

Beemerboy
05-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Poorboys ProPolish2

This was going to be my suggestion using a piece of cotton to apply, not micro fiber..I do a lot of metal polishing on HD motorcycles, I see this all the time.. You might have some very minor pitting but you`ll be able to remove most of the problem

The Driver
05-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Personally, I love most smats for metals. This was a great article.

M105 to Polish Stainless Steel... WOW! (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?25506-M105-to-Polish-Stainless-Steel-WOW)!

Personally, I`d cut right in with 105 and a wool or even cotton pad if you can get your hands on one.