PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the microfiber light, now which ones should I buy?

marlinspike
05-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Many firsts for me thanks to these forums - gf bought a car, and while the finish looked like it had definitely been parked indoors and waxed, it also looked like it had never been polished and was probably washed in a non delicate way (i.e. not oxidized, but the most swirls I have ever seen). I had lived my life assuming I didn`t have the talent to use a power tool in detailing, and thanks to you guys I bought a Griot`s 6" DA + Meguiar`s 105+205 kit from Autopia along with some spare orange and white pads, and now the paint is completely swirl free (well, except for one small area I noticed in the sun the next day that I did not polish quite enough, D`OH!).

The kit came with 2 microfiber towels, and man these are way better than the ones I tried 10 or so years ago that made me decide I`m sticking to cotton. So much better than I want microfiber everything.

So, which microfiber for removing polish/wax? Which for using quick detailer? Which for use with leather care products (if they do get used for that)? I`ve seen the chart, but there seems to be overlap and I`m easily confused. Ignore cost, I`m willing to pay much more for something that is only a little better in this purchase.

52split
05-04-2015, 05:23 PM
You are gonna get more "opinions" than you could ever imagine. So here`s mine...

Polish removal - The Rag Co. Edgeless`
Drying - The Rag Co Dry Me A River Jr`s

Can`t go wrong this route. There are others that are just as good, but for performance and price...these CAN NOT be beat.

LostHighway
05-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Cost no object, the German Microfiber Madness towels from CarPro-US are about as good as it gets.
So far, I`m really I`m liking the Edgeless Avalanche from the Rag Company as a drying towel but I haven`t had it long.
The Eagle Edgeless towels from the Rag Company are great for buffing as are the BOA from CarPro-US, the Mother of Pearl from PakShak and the Fluffy Korean Edgeless from Microfiber Tech.
For polish removal and first pass on some waxes I like the no-nap/closed loop or very low nap towels like the PakShak Silver Surfer Edgeless or Microfiber Madness Yellow Fellow 2.0. The comparatively cheap Microfiber Tech Edgeless Polishing Towel is also acceptable but the QC isn`t as good so inspect carefully.
I like a mixture of towels for glass including the CarPro-US Fast Glass, the Rag Company Premium Blue Korean Glass & Window and waffle weave towels like their 16" X 16" Premium Light Blue Microfiber WW Towel.
The PakShak Shave Ice is nice for interiors as are several of the above towels.
I buy cheap Chinese towels like the Microfiber Tech 300 gsm for wheels, door frames and under the hood.
This isn`t an exhaustive list, other sources like Poorboys and Autoality also offer good towels but these are my primary sources.

WaxAddict
05-04-2015, 06:32 PM
^^^^ What 52split said. Done.

Accumulator
05-05-2015, 12:34 PM
As long as you stick with the "Big Vendors" that get mentioned here all the time, I don`t think you can go wrong these days...just so many good MFs out there. Personal preferences *can* really factor in though, and what one person likes for a given task might not satisfy another.