PDA

View Full Version : polish

alben
05-02-2015, 11:42 AM
2015 slate metallic corolla (dark color) less 1,000 miles. best polish for shine, gloss after clay, iron-x. thanks in advance

wdmaccord
05-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Menzerna SF4000 would be a good choice.

pwaug
05-02-2015, 12:54 PM
So would HD Polish!!

Accumulator
05-02-2015, 01:20 PM
I`d use HD Polish too.

WaxAddict
05-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I second Menzerna 4000.

Other good choices on good paint...
Menzerna 4500
Poorboy`s Professional Polish, Blue pad.
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

HD Polish is highly touted and I`m sure it`s great too.

silverfox
05-02-2015, 04:12 PM
HD polish...again

Orinda Auto Detail
05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
HD polish!

House of Wax
05-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Yuuuuuup HD Polish

Detail Impressions
05-02-2015, 09:00 PM
HD Polish! It`s water based too

WaxAddict
05-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Where`s the OP?
Anyway, wouldn`t a good mild AIO be a good choice on a new car? Wolfgang Uber, etc. The OP didn`t state if the car needed correction (dealer installed swirls). In that case, Menzern.... ah heck, HD Polish before I get banned! B)

alben
05-03-2015, 10:34 AM
hello waxaddict op is not on line all the time. on your comments i have read here that polish is key to max gloss, want max gloss. read here prep is key, for max gloss, shine and long lasting. more important than final product (clay, iron-x polish key to prep) i ll be visiting detailers to have them look at car and give opinion but so much of what i read here ( clay,iron-x polish) key to long lasting gloss. guess i have fixation on polish. you seem to be saying polish may not be needed?? just cleaning and menzem....?

alben
05-03-2015, 10:44 AM
waxaddict i`m confusing myself. if detailers say i don`t need correction will a aio give as much gloss/shine as a polish??

ShaneB
05-03-2015, 11:38 AM
AIOs typically are just a finishing polish with a wax or sealant mixed in. Also called cleaner waxes. Some are just chemical cleaners and some have mild abrasives.

Coming into a forum like this and asking what`s the "best" is very subjective. There are a lot of great options out there and even more opinions. You really can`t go wrong with any finishing polish. Many popular ones have already been listed. Just pick one. Find what works for your car on your paint. If it doesn`t work, look at technique. I assume you`re using a machine to polish? If you`re planning to do it by hand, skip the polish and go for a glaze like PB black hole.

WaxAddict
05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
waxaddict i`m confusing myself. if detailers say i don`t need correction will a aio give as much gloss/shine as a polish??
Depending on the condition of the paint, sure, because AIO is polish, with an LSP added.
If you`re keen on polishing, then applying LSP, go for it, you can`t go wrong.
Regardless, all of the recommendations on this thread will work tremendously. Me, on good new paint, I`d go as mild as possible. It will see plenty of abrasives in the years to come.

Accumulator
05-03-2015, 12:43 PM
alben-The purpose of an abrasive polish is primarily to correct marring. Any increase in gloss beyond "marred paint refracts light, marring-free paint reflects light" is sorta a side-effect.

So generally you`d only polish if the paint is marred (scratches/swirls/etc.). Trouble is, almost every car *is* marred, including new ones (I can count on my fingers the unmarred new cars I`ve seen at dealerships over the last ~40 years). If they wash it, it`s gonna have flaws.

Q#1- Forgetting that this is Autopia, how much do you really care?
Q#2- If you get the paint perfect, will you be able to keep it that way? Washing without instilling marring is quite challenging.