PDA

View Full Version : Gloss-Coat over Opti-Coat??

Sundaze
04-29-2015, 07:32 AM
I recently found a box in my closest that fell behind a couple of other products….I opened and found a tube of Opt-Coat looking great and never opened. I was thinking about correcting my car then coating with the Opti-Coat. Then waiting a couple of hours then applying Gloss-Coat over top.
Has anyone done this and what/were you happy with the results?

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2015, 07:35 AM
I haven`t done it but that sounds like a fine idea to me. Kind of home-made Opti-Coat Pro Plus.

jmsc
04-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Well, gtechniq does recommend C1 then EXO. 2 coatings back-to-back spread over some time to allow for drying.

RaysWay
04-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I believe JSmooth has done this in a few of his writeups and has mentioned the extra layer of Gloss-Coat really does add an extra layer of gloss.

Edit: Yep, he did this on a black Z06: http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-brag-the-detailers-showcase/179656-ocdetail-triple-black-2015-z06-opti-coat-pro.html?highlight=

Sundaze
04-29-2015, 01:22 PM
I believe JSmooth has done this in a few of his writeups and has mentioned the extra layer of Gloss-Coat really does add an extra layer of gloss.

Edit: Yep, he did this on a black Z06: http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-brag-the-detailers-showcase/179656-ocdetail-triple-black-2015-z06-opti-coat-pro.html?highlight=

Thanks for the link...looking forward to giving this a try!

RaysWay
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the link...looking forward to giving this a try!

Plz take pics and share any feedback! I`m kicking myself for only doing one coat after hearing others have great success applying two coats.

Sundaze
04-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Plz take pics and share any feedback! I`m kicking myself for only doing one coat after hearing others have great success applying two coats.

Will do....might be a couple of weeks before I am able to do the whole car...but I`m also kicking around the idea of doing a couple of panels at a time...

Stokdgs
04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
I would wait and do the entire vehicle at once...
Its like painting a car, if its a Complete, you do the whole thing at once, so it will dry and cure all at the same time...
The prep work to get it all perfectly clean and wiped down each time will greatly increase your own work and time added to this project..
Good luck,
Dan F

kbmag1
04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
How long should you let Option 2.0 cure before using Gloss Coat on top. What would min and max time be?

Sundaze
04-30-2015, 04:51 PM
I would wait and do the entire vehicle at once...
Dan F
I know this would be ideal....I`m pondering a vacation day from work to do this

How long should you let Option 2.0 cure before using Gloss Coat on top. What would min and max time be?
I sent Optimum an email and this is what I got back from Ron......

"Dave, your Opti-Coat 2.0 should be good as long as it`s been capped/sealed. The prep is the same for 2.0 as Gloss-Coat and there are benefits to topping with Gloss - additional protection and greater gloss/slickness. You should apply Gloss-Coat 30 - 60 minutes after 2.0 for best results."

Sundaze
05-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Well I was a little disappointed yesterday.
I washed and clayed then rewashed. Then I rolled the car into the sun to see how bad the surface is.

Kind of tough to see....but this was the best shot of the rids I got

I started to correct the car using Optimum Hyper-Polish on a tangerine pad. Not quite enough, so I stepped up to Hyper-Compound on an Optimum polishing mf pad. Then finished with OHP on a crimson pad, overall I was happy with the results. Sorry no pics…..
I quit there because the damn pollen is so darn thick I need to do a ONR before I can finish the whole hood. So I decided to just ONR, dry and apply Opti-Seal. I’ll wait until the pollen settles before I attempt this again.