PDA

View Full Version : Help with Paint Issue

moosey
04-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I tried to capture an issue with the paint on my hood. Basically, in the circled area the paint appears to be a little lighter in color or maybe even hazy. This happened after use of a white Hex Logic pad on a DA. I don`t see how it could be strikethrough given what was used but I wanted to get an idea of your expert opinions. I tried to go over it once more but didn`t want to push too hard in fear of over-polishing. The area feels normal to the touch.

Sorry for the picture quality and I`ll see if I can take a better one.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ronkh
04-28-2015, 05:13 PM
DA Haze

Got to a finer polishing pad and polish, slow, fast, slow

Should take care of it

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Usually when these stories leave out things like what was the polish/compound used or why that particular area was polished and/or is an area of concern the ending is fairly predictable.

Let me see if I can fill in the blanks...you had a deep scratch in that area, so you bought some sort of compound and polished the bejesus out of it until the scratch went away. Then you noticed the paint didn`t look right in that area. How close am I?

I personally can`t see what you are talking about in the picture. It would help if you would tell us the circumstances, like what chemical was used, what machine, what setting, how long, did you polish the whole hood or just that spot, what was in that spot before you polished, what kind of car, how old, etc.

moosey
04-28-2015, 06:32 PM
The circumstances were that the car was washed by the dealer and I was polishing to remove the complimentary swirls (not confined to one area). Car is a 2012 BMW. As stated, the pad was a white Hex Logic on a DA and I did maybe 4 or so passes. Polish was CG V36. There was no deep scratch there and I didn`t use a compound (don`t even own one). I`m not sure what happened in this one area as I`ve never had that happen before.

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2015, 06:49 PM
My condolences that the car was washed by the dealer. V36 (from what I can tell from the CG`s description) seems to be a compound ("cutting polish designed to eliminate moderate to heavy paint defects and imperfections"). If it is a DAT compound, did you perhaps not break it down completely in that area?

Again, I can`t really see any difference between that area and the rest of the hood in the picture, but as Ron noted it could be compounding haze if you didn`t break down fully in that area. Do you have a lighter polish you could try going over that area with?

Ccrew
04-28-2015, 06:52 PM
The white HexLogic is a polishing pad. V36 however is a cutting polish designed to remove medium to heavy defects - and is supposed to be used with their green pads but the Whites are one step finer so that shouldn`t be your issue.. I`m thinking you have some compound haze or micromarring and need a finish polish personally as the V36 may have been harsher than you needed.

moosey
04-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks all. I have V38 and Menzerna SF-4000. I`ll give those a go. Again, sorry for the bad pic but it was a little hard to capture. Generally, the area doesn`t really look swirled (I can see some marks though that look to be from the DA) but hazy is a good way to put it as you can tell the color is a bit off in that area.

On a side note, any suggestions on a polish that may have a little less cut than the V36?

WT Taggart
04-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Have you tried Mag Correction Compound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk