PDA

View Full Version : My wifes ride needs some new tires

Pages : [1] 2

lonewolf0420
05-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Whats your opinion on Cooper Cobra GT`s or BFG Control Plus. I`m more concerned about traction. We`re gonna be starting the rain season soon so I want them to grip.
Thanks

holland_patrick
05-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Whats your opinion on Cooper Cobra GT`s or BFG Control Plus. I`m more concerned about traction. We`re gonna be starting the rain season soon so I want them to grip.
Thanks
what kinda of car???:howdy :howdy

kaos
05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
If wet traction is a big concern, check out the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW2`s. They`re made for excellent wet traction, and the dry is great too, from the reviews I`ve seen on tirerack. I`m very seriously considering putting a set of them on my new wheels.

lonewolf0420
05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
`99 Chevy Tracker.

ben54
05-03-2006, 05:20 PM
kaos - with respect to the BFG KDWs, unsure if you`re talking about the tread pattern that looks like flames, but if you are, consider the road noise it generates. Just put a set on an IS300. The tires hum like a 4x4 on smooth pavement, and is quite loud. The grip is outstanding, and it slides predictably around corners, but how much of that can you do in normal everyday driving. The noise hasn`t really improved with miles on the tires, I think we just got accustomed to hearing the roar of the tires.

Reeeko99
05-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Cooper SLE`s
in the Non H rated.

Excellent traction and wear ratings. +60k tire.
Very good price.
I`ve had three sets on three different cars.

carnut00
05-03-2006, 06:38 PM
I would consider BFG Traction TAs I have them and they are very good.

Squirtgun
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I built tires for Cooper(Albany,Ga. plant) 8yrs.The Cobras area great tire but not what I would put on a Tracker.The SLE would be better suited for the application and as stated it has a 60k mileage rating.Cooper has great customer service and if youhave problems with the tires before they reach the 60k they will work with you in any way possible to to remedy the problem.

kaos
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
kaos - with respect to the BFG KDWs, unsure if you`re talking about the tread pattern that looks like flames, but if you are, consider the road noise it generates. Just put a set on an IS300. The tires hum like a 4x4 on smooth pavement, and is quite loud. The grip is outstanding, and it slides predictably around corners, but how much of that can you do in normal everyday driving. The noise hasn`t really improved with miles on the tires, I think we just got accustomed to hearing the roar of the tires.

Yeah, that`s the one. And that`s pretty much everybody`s primary complaint about it. As a matter of fact, part of the move to the new `wavy` tread pattern was actually to make them quieter. The old `standard` tread pattern is rated to be even louder yet, and my size isn`t made in the new pattern yet. :eek:

They`re still one of my forerunners, simply due to the outstanding wet traction, but I`m also definitely considering some other options that are quieter, without sacrificing too much grip.

97F1504x4
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
If wet traction is a big concern, check out the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW2`s. They`re made for excellent wet traction, and the dry is great too, from the reviews I`ve seen on tirerack. I`m very seriously considering putting a set of them on my new wheels.

Yep i agree, in fact those are the tires i will be running on the Mustang once i get enough money together to buy them.

Richard

lonewolf0420
05-03-2006, 08:31 PM
The tire center gave me a quote of $479 including install and all that good stuff. Before he gave me the price he had suggested that I go with it bit wider tire then the stock for better traction. Which I never thought about, but that makes sense.

CARTfan
05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
What size are on it? It seems everyone is talking about a tire that isn`t intended for a truck, nor made in a size that would fit one.

lonewolf0420
05-04-2006, 08:06 AM
HEre is a pic of her jeep. This is the tire size from tirekindom`s site. 205/75/15. I don`t recall the size for the wider Cooper Cobra`s.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/silence0420/CopyofDCP_0006.jpg

TrueDetailer
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
You know how wide the rim is? I can`t tell you what tire to get but I`d go as wide as your rim can handle. Wider is better when it comes to traction.

Maxima Lover
05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a set of Cooper Cobra GT`s on my stock wheels for my 97 Maxima months as well as my dad`s 02 Maxima. They`re decent for what they are. I don`t get that great of traction in the rain with them, but my dads car does. I also have decent traction problems while shifting quickly into 2nd at redline. I probably wouldn`t buy them again. If I had the choice of something similar for around the same price, I would give them a try instead.