PDA

View Full Version : Moving…

4u2nvinmtl
04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
This summer my wife, two sons, and I, are moving into a stand-alone house (renting). Unfortunately the house only has a drive way (long and wide) without a garage, so I’ve come up with a few options to keep my SRT safe/clean.

What would be the best way to store it (considering the factors below) in your opinion? –Can of worms officially opened–

Factors:
· Budget: $2500 upfront or $125 a month
· Rental length: 24moths/2years maximum
· Zoning: Allows any kind of garage/carport
· Note: renting another home is not an option as we are getting a ridiculous deal from family

Options I’ve come up with:
a) Rent a garage from a neighbor (year round protection)
b) Build a winterizable car port
c) Awning (summer) /w Tempo for the winter
d) Car cover (summer) /w Tempo for the winter
e) None of the above, park outside and just hope for the best

*Tempo: is a winterized car tent brand commonly used to protect cars from the ice/snow/cold and is only permitted during winter months

davidc
04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
I have seen those large Shed`s that Costco advertises, something like 10 by 20. It`s an option.

Dave

davidc
04-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Never paid attention to the price but here is the link it is pricey, at least to me but maybe worth it.

Lifetime 11` x 21` Garage Shed (http://www.costco.com/Lifetime-11%27-x-21%27-Garage-Shed.product.11538115.html)

Dave

4u2nvinmtl
04-24-2015, 08:02 PM
davidc thanks for the idea but it`s a bit over budget. I’m also not sure how it would hold up to winter (we get 3-5 feet of snowfall that doesn’t melt, and the reviews were shady at best).

I guess is back to parking at a garage next door. It feels more James Bond that way anyway.

Where you from in AZ? I grew up in a small town called Tubac (nothing like Montreal, Canada lol)…

davidc
04-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Tempe

Dave

tropicsteve
04-24-2015, 08:53 PM
tractor supply has a lot of portable garages that aren`t too expensive.Tractor Supply Co. - Enjoy searching:garage,Brand:ShelterLogic (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageView=image&beginIndex=0&pageSize=&searchTerm=garage&filterTerm=&manufacturer=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&searchTermScope=&searchType=1000&sType=SimpleSearch&metaData=&facet=ads_f4_ntk_cs%253AShelterLogic%3CFCT%40SP%3E&hasSelectedBrandFacet=1&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&bCrumbCatIds=&ShelterLogic+%2815%29=ShelterLogic%5E15%5Eads_f4_n tk_cs%253AShelterLogic&brandFacet=ShelterLogic)
good luck with the winters though.:yikes:

Accumulator
04-25-2015, 01:29 PM
4u2nvinmtl- Guess this isn`t the time to mention that orangepeel removal, oops, sorry.... ;)

DO NOT PUT A COVER ON IT. Period. You`ll mar it up and want to take off more clear.

You gonna drive the SRT in the winter? I`d just garage it somewhere (where you can also detail) during nasty weather and drive something that I wouldn`t mind leaving outside when necessary. Did that for ages before getting the current house/shop setup; I rented/owned off-site garages since I was a teenage kid so my good stuff would be safe during the winter and I`d have a place to store/detail stuff. Didn`t get the at-home shop until I was 40.