PDA

View Full Version : Question on the color of Griots products...

Aerowagon
04-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Recently I picked up a few Griot`s products on sale at my local parts store, but noticed that a couple of them were slightly different colors or completely different all together.
As pictured here, one Car Wash is yellow, and one is orangish:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7656/17217455621_e652aa117a_b.jpg

And here, one of the Speed shine jugs is greenish and one is bluish:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7700/17030252408_091032781d_b.jpg

Clearly the greenish bottle has an older label on it.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5339/17218016585_8fb39772dc_b.jpg

So I guess my question is, are these color differences correct or have they changed from sitting a shelf for years? Do these degrade over time to the point where I shouldnt use them?
I was pretty pumped to get a sweet deal, but am now slightly deflated after wondering if these are all bad from age...

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2015, 08:33 PM
I don`t know exactly the answer to your question, but I can tell you that I have bottles of the wheel cleaner (green) and rubber cleaner (red) that have lived in my basement their whole lives and they have faded quite a bit, but they are still fine.

Certainly if you mix up Meg`s Detailer glass cleaner or ONR, the color fades over time, but doesn`t affect the product.

Paul Mitchell
04-20-2015, 09:43 PM
I don`t know if the older products are any good or not but the correct current colors are:

Car Wash - Orange
Speed Shine - Blue

Call Griot`s Customer Service at 800-345-5789 and they may be able to give you more information.

tom p.
04-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Aero, the products on the right in each foto are the correct color.

I, too, have seen some extreme dis-coloration of their products. I`ve seen their wheel cleaner turn black. However, I`m quite certain it was due to improper storage in a garage that got way too hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Setec Astronomy
04-21-2015, 07:17 AM
I, too, have seen some extreme dis-coloration of their products. I`ve seen their wheel cleaner turn black. However, I`m quite certain it was due to improper storage in a garage that got way too hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Hi Tom, I bought the Griot`s wheel cleaner on your recommendation, that`s pretty weird for it to turn black, as I noted I have my Griot`s stuff in the basement where it doesn`t get too much light exposure, however after many years the dyes seem to fade, which isn`t really too surprising in the scheme of things (and in a clear bottle), you probably don`t want too "aggressive" a dye because you don`t want it dying what you`re using it on.

Junebug
04-21-2015, 07:56 AM
I`ve never tried any Griots products, so, I was kind of curious which ones ya`ll like and give a good bang for the buck?

Setec Astronomy
04-21-2015, 08:44 AM
I dunno, at one time I didn`t think any of them were a good bang for the buck, but the wheel cleaners seem to be fairly priced (they have a pH-neutral and an iron-eating) if you buy them in the gallons. When I say fairly priced, I mean in comparison to say P21S or Sonax Full Effect, not fairly priced as in wheee this is cheap! I got a quart of the iron-eating ("heavy-duty") but I haven`t gotten a chance to try it yet. The green wheel cleaner is a good alternate to regular P21S, but it`s not as good as the P21S gel.

Pats300zx
04-21-2015, 09:33 AM
I have had a big bottle of Speed Shine fade from bright blue to almost a transparent color. It was stored properly in cool conditions.

xspwrstang
04-21-2015, 10:10 AM
I`ve never tried Griot`s but I would think storage does play a factor into this. A few years back I bought 2 bottles of Poli-Seal. I left one in the shipping box it came in and put it away in my closet and the other I had in my garage. When I finally finished my bottle in my garage I took out the one in my closet and it looked like spoiled milk. There was a yellow liquid with chunks floating on top of it. I shook it quite a bit, left it in the garage a couple of days, then shook it some more and it never went back to it`s original smooth texture. I had to throw it away, I didn`t want to risk anything. So I`m sure storage does affect the products.