PDA

View Full Version : Griots clay any good?

Pages : [1] 2

WaxAddict
04-17-2015, 10:26 PM
I saw Griots clay at Advance Auto. At $20, and if it`s good, I`m thinking its silly to buy the Meg`s kit at $20 and end up with less clay, a towel for jambs, and detailer that I don`t use.

Setec Astronomy
04-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Not my first choice.

The Guz
04-18-2015, 12:15 AM
You can get a clay magic bar for about $10 at your local auto parts store. I use that with a lot of success.

blkSRT
04-18-2015, 12:22 AM
It`s not bad just very mild.

WaxAddict
04-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the responses. Mild is good for my garage-kept. The one outside needs a brick.
I haven`t seen Clay Magic at the stores.

Speaking of clay, I like clay that isn`t too sticky/tacky. Mothers, unfortunately, is such. Mothers "looks" a lot like the Griots. Hmmm

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2015, 08:26 AM
I haven`t used the Mother`s in a long time, I recall that was a bar, where the Griot`s is a ball (at least the Griot`s I have that I got a long time ago). I`m trying to use up the Griot`s and it`s a sticky smeary mess. I wear gloves with it.

You used to be able to get Clay Magic at Advance, looks like it`s only online now.

WaxAddict
04-18-2015, 11:27 AM
The newer Griots clay is a bar. It looks like that picture where the bar looks like it`s melting over the edge of the pot that it comes in. It`s in the pot, wrapped in plastic, shaped in a wide U.

Accumulator
04-18-2015, 02:52 PM
None of the GG clay I`ve used was as mild as Sonus SFX, which is my choice for the vast majority of my claying.

GG clay has always been OK IMO, very similar to Mother`s.

For something slightly more aggressive than the Sonus, I prefer the Ricardo/Smart clay.

But again, nothing *wrong* with the Griot`s IMO. I DO *NOT* advocate using SpeedShine as a clay lube though, too "waxy" for my taste, seems to compromise the clay`s effectiveness.

The Guz
04-18-2015, 05:16 PM
I have seen the clay magic bar at o`reilly and pep boys. It`s a blue bar that comes individually wrapped in a yellow package that Simoniz and the clay magic logo on the front.

WaxAddict
04-18-2015, 08:54 PM
None of the GG clay I`ve used was as mild as Sonus SFX, which is my choice for the vast majority of my claying.

GG clay has always been OK IMO, very similar to Mother`s.

For something slightly more aggressive than the Sonus, I prefer the Ricardo/Smart clay.

But again, nothing *wrong* with the Griot`s IMO. I DO *NOT* advocate using SpeedShine as a clay lube though, too "waxy" for my taste, seems to compromise the clay`s effectiveness.

Off Topic, but while I was there looking at the clay, I bought some SpeedShine, and was going to use it as clay lube today, but reached for Spray & Wipe instead. Maybe a good thing I did!

firebird
04-19-2015, 01:06 PM
I like Griot`s clay alot BUT now that I tried a clay towel I want one of those!
I have Blackfire polyclay and Griots which I will trade!

Accumulator
04-19-2015, 01:09 PM
WaxAddict- I used to really like the SpeedShine as a Drying Aid-type QD on waxes (not sealants)...for years I kept gallons of it on hand so it`s not like I hate the stuff. But I think it`s better that you reached for the S&W, hope that worked out OK.

WaxAddict
04-19-2015, 03:33 PM
WaxAddict- I used to really like the SpeedShine as a Drying Aid-type QD on waxes (not sealants)...for years I kept gallons of it on hand so it`s not like I hate the stuff. But I think it`s better that you reached for the S&W, hope that worked out OK.

I`m a QD Addict, and I like the shape of the GG SS bottle. Wide and round so it dosnt tip over like my Sonus, Megs, and other QDs with that dang skinny bottle,:angry:. Obviously it`s not deal-breaker if someone makes an excellent product with that thin design, but still. SS is also a decent value.

Back on the clay subject, I learned this weekend that I can`t keep using mild clay for every job. I didn`t decontaminate a bumper properly and got some bad tick marks as punishment. Learn by doing I guess.

Accumulator
04-20-2015, 11:04 AM
I`m a QD Addict, and I like the shape of the GG SS bottle..

Heh heh, yeah...I`m a recovered QD Addict myself :D And I sure won`t argue about those GG bottles, even bought some empty ones from them at one point (pricey IIRC). Caveat: they can get fragile in time, so don`t drop them ;)

Back on the clay subject, I learned this weekend that I can`t keep using mild clay for every job. I didn`t decontaminate a bumper properly and got some bad tick marks as punishment. Learn by doing I guess.

OK, you lost me there! How did you mess up the bumper cover by using the mild clay? What were you dealing with?

JustJesus
04-20-2015, 01:33 PM
bad tick marks? what the heck is that? Pics?

I`ve tried the ClayMagic yesterday. I use hand clay to do a "final" wipe after using the Nanoskin on a DA. I liked the ClayMagic in that it wasn`t overly aggressive, and it`s super cheap (From Amazon). I did favor the Smartwax (blue) clay, as it bends easily, is mild, and and. Yeah. That`s it.

I`ve also tried Chemical Guys yellow and black clay. The black one...WHOA. it tore the finger off my black nitrile glove! Very stick stuff.