PDA

View Full Version : Right to a speedy trail in traffic court

Maxima Lover
05-01-2006, 12:54 AM
I have traffic court in the morning (5/1/06). I plead not guilty on 3/15/06 and was given the May first court date for the trail. It`s for violating a traffic control sign. The officer told me, "I`m not sure what sign is back there, but I know what you did was illegal, and instead of having you follow me over there, I just wrote it for this, it should cover it." I know I got the ticket because of my record with the police, so I`m afraid the officer is going to lie about what happened just so he doesn`t look dumb in court. I`ve heard that I can get the case dismissed if the trial isn`t set within 45 days. This would be nice so I don`t have to hope the officer tells the truth about what happened. Does anyone know why this wouldn`t work out or am I missing something completely?

LastDetail
05-01-2006, 04:59 AM
The statute of limitations states that you can be prosecuted for a non-capital crime within 7 years of the offense, I think the 45 days is just a guideline of how long they anticipate it to take from arraignment to trial, and I don`t see why it would be different for traffic violations.
However remember when you are in court, if the officer shows up, that you are there to argue this one and only action, blowing a stop sign is what you are accused of, and that is all that can be argued in court. Bringing up prior convictions is immaterial to what you are there to defend yourself from on this day. Tell the truth about what the officer said, and WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LIE! The worst thing that can happen is you are found guilty and you have to pay what you would have paid anyway. Good Luck

budman3
05-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Well go back to where you were and find out what sign it was and snap a picture or something. It`s probably too late for that now though. Most likely the officer has gone back there or has seen what `sign` it was since then which will or will not prove that you did something wrong I suppose.

Maxima Lover
05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys. I didn`t have time to post before I left this morning (running late as usual). The only sign there was, was a no left turn sign. I was coming down a viaduct and made a U-turn (which is aloud here) and never entered the intersection. Granted it looks like there used to be a no U-turn sign there, but there wasn`t.

I wore a suit and got ask 4 times if I was a lawyer even though I`m 18 (I could probably make some extra cash to use for detailing supplies :D ). The prosecutor ask me to go out in the hall. He ask me what happened and I told him and showed him the pictures. He knew I was ready and going to fight it. He said I could pay court costs and be done with it. I took it being I would have had to pay court costs if I won anyway (what a business they have going). So I guess I won as much as I could have.