PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Paste Wax didn`t want to play nice with the PC, until ...

Pages : [1] 2

Don
04-14-2015, 07:07 PM
... I decided to try spritzing a light mist of Ultimate Quik Detailer on the panel just prior to putting pad to paint and turning on the porter cable.

I finished polishing my car with Ultimate Polish and I decided to use the cut-down finishing pad to apply the Ultimate Paste Wax. But no matter how much wax I applied to the pad, it didn`t want to spread on the paint. I know that it`s supposed to be applied thin, but it just wouldn`t transfer from the pad onto the paint. So that`s when I decided to used the UQD. Once I did that, the Ultimate Paste applied like butter and spread forever in a nice thin layer. Instead of doing the whole car at once I just applied and removed the wax panel by panel and it came off like a dream. Now a few hours later, the color has deepened and the finish looks better than it ever has ... and no I still can`t access a camera

Ccrew
04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
and no I still can`t access a camera

You know without pictures it didn`t happen, right? :P

Don
04-14-2015, 07:47 PM
You know without pictures it didn`t happen, right? :P

Yeah, I know :(

MiVor
04-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Now in my recollection, you want a soft pad (like gray) and a speed of like 2 on the PC - what did you use?

Don
04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
Now in my recollection, you want a soft pad (like gray) and a speed of like 2 on the PC - what did you use?

Lake Country black pad on a `1.` It is a variable contact pad that is for finishing, I don`t believe they make it anymore, maybe I should get a new finishing pad, although this one is in good shape (rarely used and only for wax application).

MiVor
04-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Lake Country black pad on a `1.` It is a variable contact pad that is for finishing, I don`t believe they make it anymore, maybe I should get a new finishing pad, although this one is in good shape (rarely used and only for wax application).

Whatever works well. To a point, I think there`s more marketing than real necessity in all these different foam pad densities. This is especially true when you hear success stories of say a single orange (fairly dense) pad used for compound, polish AND `wax`.
I`m just `thinking out loud` that just maybe the results can be adjusted more by the product and the process than the density of the foam pad.

Junebug
04-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Plan on doing it again soon - that wax is easy on & off but lasts only 5- 6 weeks in my experience.

MiVor
04-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Plan on doing it again soon - that wax is easy on & off but lasts only 5- 6 weeks in my experience.

You might try ONR washes followed by an Utimate Spray Wax topper for extra mileage.

Ronkh
04-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Believe they still make vc pads

at least I hope they do

Accumulator
04-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Noting that I`ve never used the UPW, I run the polisher a lot faster than "1" when applying paste waxes.

The UQD helping doesn`t surprise me, I`ve used Griot`s SpeedShine and the old EF Clear Pearl when machine-applying M16.

Regarding the "one pad for everything", and leaving stupid-soft paint out of the discussion, we got by just fine with that approach for many, many years. I still prefer to use a slightly firmer, more open pad when applying paste waxes and even with some thicker liquids like 845. IMO, as long as the pad doesn`t have any cut in-and-of itself, it won`t be a problem.

I haven`t tried the newest, and thus presumably different, Griot`s orange pad, but the *OLD* GG Orange was a great do-anything pad. Same with the green Cyclo pads (all they had for ages), which were, IIRC, the same as the pads sold under the Edge brandname.

Don
04-15-2015, 04:19 PM

I don`t know, I left mine untouched for 7 months and at the end, the car still looked really good and the water did slightly bead/sheet on the 2nd wash of the summer

The Guz
04-15-2015, 04:45 PM
I have seen consistent 5-6 months with just ULW by itself. On my personal daily driver I saw 8 months out of ULW/M26 combo with the once a month D156 refresher. On my dad`s car that same combo got about 6-7 months.

Lonnie
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I wonder if this UPW application method of using a detailer spray would work using Meg`s M34 Final Inspection?

I gotta ask (and hi-jack this thread), is UPW better than Meg`s Professional M21 Synthetic Wax (or its Consumer version NXT 2.0) and M26 Yellow Wax??

Accumulator
04-16-2015, 12:14 PM
I wonder if this UPW application method of using a detailer spray would work using Meg`s M34 Final Inspection?

I wouldn`t try that myself, I`ve had M34 kill off LSPs that were barely hanging on, so I don`t really think of it as an LSP-compatible QD and IMO that compatibility is what you want for this.

Don
04-16-2015, 06:42 PM
I wouldn`t try that myself, I`ve had M34 kill off LSPs that were barely hanging on, so I don`t really think of it as an LSP-compatible QD and IMO that compatibility is what you want for this.

Which is why I used UQD, if I hadn`t had that, I wouldn`t have tried it. You would think that UQD and Ult Paste are compatible.