PDA

View Full Version : Is BF Wet-Ice Over Fire that great?

cobrar97
04-11-2015, 10:46 PM
I have a dark gray Audi and have been looking for something that has both depth and razor-shire. Is this product (or combo) as great as it sounds? This car doesn`t see much rain at all, driven on nice days, and is garage kept. Longevity isn`t as important as the appearance.

The Guz
04-11-2015, 10:56 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/blackfirewax-com/31611-blackfire-wet-ice-fire-pics.html

cobrar97
04-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks...I did see those pictures. Nothing is a dark gray like I`m looking for, and many of those pictures aren`t real good quality photography and make the finish not look real good (to my eye). I`d like some more details from those who`ve actually used the product combo.

01GreyStangGT
04-11-2015, 11:24 PM
The combo makes the gold metal flake in my java color Sorento look like it`s floating.

WaxAddict
04-12-2015, 09:46 AM
The combo makes the gold metal flake in my java color Sorento look like it`s floating.

That is an excellent description of what a good topper should do. It`s bringing the shine forward by adding another lens for your eyes to look through. This is why really good sealants topped with carnauba look so hot.

SGM2008
04-12-2015, 05:03 PM
I have a dark gray Audi and have been looking for something that has both depth and razor-shire. Is this product (or combo) as great as it sounds? This car doesn`t see much rain at all, driven on nice days, and is garage kept. Longevity isn`t as important as the appearance.

I have a BMW in Space Grey metallic. I was skeptical as well, but I had a BFWD sample so I gave in and purchased Midnight Sun last year. The results were nothing less than amazing, I don`t think the "online" pictures do it justice.

My car is garage kept as well and the durability of Midnight Sun has been much better than I expected for a Carnauba. An added bonus is it`s a breeze to apply and remove.

I say give it a go!

cobrar97
04-12-2015, 05:07 PM
That`s exactly what I wanted to hear!

07gtcs
04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Here is a dark grey lexus.

LostHighway
04-14-2015, 04:32 AM
My take on this is a bit mixed. BFWD AFPP was my go-to sealant choice for a couple years. It is still one of the better looking sealants on the market IMO and it is relatively quick and easy to use (less is more, don`t over apply). Durability is mid-range for sealant but the OP indicated that isn`t a concern. My personal feeling is that it is significantly over-priced at the current list price but everyone has their own markers for both value and looks. BF MS is one of the easiest waxes to apply and mid-range for both looks and durability IME. The problem with wax over sealant is that people assume you get the best of both but I don`t think it works that way. Waxes hold dust and pollen more than most sealants and coatings so you are giving up something there. The BF combo is better than most in this regard but you often don`t get a significant improvement on the longevity of the wax or sealant by itself and in some cases it actually seems worse. MS over AFPP might give you a slight improvement on the looks of MS by itself on a well-prepped finish but I don`t think the difference is huge. I guess I`m of the school that if you enjoy the looks and process of a good wax then by all means use wax. If you want quick and easy application, less tendency to hold dust and pollen and are happy with the look then use a sealant or coating. The BF combo is one of the better sealant/wax pairings IMO but I remain less than 100% enthusiastic about the concept.

cobrar97
04-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the information LostHighway...
One of the main reasons why I`m asking about the "combo" is because: I have a dark gray, yet metallic, vehicle. I like the sharp lines and reflections of sealant, and usually that`s my product of choice. However, the dark gray can show some depth with the nuba...however all reflection is lost. The BF combo is marketed as offer both the sharp refection AND the depth of nuba. If it was true, I would certainly want to try. If it`s not the case, then I`d stick with sealant only in my case.
I was just hoping for the next best thing.

TroyScherer
04-14-2015, 08:50 AM
I like BFWD a lot. But Menz PowerLock looks and acts almost identical for a better price. BFMS is about the best all around wax I have used and my favorite for paste waxes.

SGM2008
04-14-2015, 07:34 PM
I like BFWD a lot. But Menz PowerLock looks and acts almost identical for a better price. BFMS is about the best all around wax I have used and my favorite for paste waxes.

Hmmm .... I have Power Lock as well, I`ll have to give the Power Lock/Midnight Sun combo a try.

01GreyStangGT
04-14-2015, 09:04 PM
My experience is that the combo changes the look some but endurance is about the same as BFWD by itself.