PDA

View Full Version : Any Product Mixers (pretend chemists) out there like me?

Pages : [1] 2

WaxAddict
04-09-2015, 07:44 PM
I like mixing products to (supposedly) get the best attributes from each. For example, the popular Spray & Gloss with Spray & Wipe. Here`s a few I do:

Spray & Wipe with ONR detail strength, 1:1. (Increases the cleaning power of ONR while adding some shine. Good clay lube, makes the S&W a bit less expensive to use as a waterless wash. I haven`t liked S&W with water).

Polish and Black Hole, 1:1. (Adds cleaning ability and light filling while making the polish a bit less abrasive and creamier. I`ve done this with Professional Polish and UP just mixing right on the pad. With Menz 4000, I`ve made a batch and am loving it as a pre-wax cleaner).

Liquid Wax and Black Hole, 2:1 or so. (Generally as a cleaner-wax for quick jobs, or before a top coat. Black Hole with Adams Buttery Wax was killer on a friends black motorcycle)

Natty`s Blue and DoDo Blue Velvet, 1:1. (Just plain fun mixing this with a little make-shift mortar and pestle. I think the NB extends the DoDo, I could also be bat sh!t crazy, but dude the LOOK!).

Competing chemistry can work against you. For example, the solvents in 845 just need to be left alone. Back when I was making my own spray wax, I tried to boost it`s longevity with 845. Kind of like Polycharging! What a mess. The emulsifiers in my spray wax (lecithin mostly) just got attacked and formed little brown babies. Speaking of that home-made spray wax project, and other attempts making my own paste wax and detailer, I`ve found that even if the results are stellar, there`s no way to compete with what`s out there on a price/performance basis. Once the novelty and pride of holding your own product in your hand wears off, it`s REAL hard to go in there and make a second batch. I have much respect for Ammo, Sonic, Rubbish Boy, etc for staying with it. Oh... and if you ever want to make your own detailer, I`ll tell you the secret: WalMart Multipurpose Solution for Contact Lenses.

ec90
04-09-2015, 08:00 PM
I`ve thought about getting into this. AmmoNYC`s latest video has me intrigued on an IronX + ONR = Iron decontaminating clay lube. I`m gonna mix up a bottle soon.

SYMAWD
04-09-2015, 09:53 PM
I`ve thought about getting into this. AmmoNYC`s latest video has me intrigued on an IronX + ONR = Iron decontaminating clay lube. I`m gonna mix up a bottle soon.
Wear gloves so your hands don`t smell like Iron X and I believe I read somewhere that the ingredients in IronX like products can break down the clay. You won`t know until you try though.

tropicsteve
04-09-2015, 09:55 PM
with my luck, the first time I mixed up a hybrid batch, two obscure chemicals would suddenly combine to make a very potent clear coat and paint remover.:yikes:

ec90
04-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Wear gloves so your hands don`t smell like Iron X and I believe I read somewhere that the ingredients in IronX like products can break down the clay. You won`t know until you try though.

Definitely. Personally I always wear gloves and swap them between major steps in washing a car.

JSFM35X
04-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Guys some of you know that I am in the commercial cleaning chemical business. Nothing to do with car chemicals at all. And I`m not trying to sell anything here just post to help my friends. Please never mix chemicals with anything else but water. Unless the manufacturer tells you it is safe to do so.

2 safe chemicals when mixed together can be very dangerous. They can potentially harm your or your car.

There is something called an msds sheet that is being replaced by an Sds sheet in June of this year. It list raw materials, health and saftey info among other sections and if your not qualified to read the material list and determine comparability don`t mix. Most of us cannot understand the jargon so it`s not worth the risk.

I have a lot of stories of porter closet chemists who with the best intentions got hurt or did some serious damage trying to invent a new potion.

Public service announcement over.

Have a good day.

WaxAddict
04-10-2015, 03:59 PM
"Don`t mix chemicals with anything but water"? OK, I`m off to mix pure sodium with water. :ph34r:

Ronkh
04-10-2015, 04:07 PM
"Don`t mix chemicals with anything but water"? OK, I`m off to mix pure sodium with water. :ph34r:

Nah

Nuttin cleans better than bleach and ammonia <_<

ec90
04-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Nah

Only if in a closed non-ventilated area.

Ronkh
04-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Only if in a closed non-ventilated area.

gets the walls clean too

MiVor
04-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Manufacturers of cleaning products spend lots of money in R&D and objective TESTING to develop and market good products. I don`t think there`s any real advantage in mixing products to achieve uncertain and subjective results. I do however feel that some products aimed at car enthusiasts (and/or autopian paranoia) are grossly over-priced when everyday household products work just as well. For instance, I think diluted liquid wash soap works great for cleaning headliners and fabric seats (it`s designed to clean fabrics!). APC`s like simple green work great with extraction to clean carpets. Any household surface cleaner works great for plastic trim. Now having `said` the above, I`m also a fan of several specialty products. 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 Fabric Protectant, Stoners Invisible Glass, Optimum No Rinse, just to name a few.
Now back to mixing, I will add a couple of capfulls of ONR to the wash bucket with wash soap to extend the slickness, but that`s more like using extra wash soap, or using an APC less diluted than it might otherwise be used.

MiVor
04-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Nah

Now that`ll clean out yer sinuses...but then you won`t need `em anymore!

WaxAddict
04-11-2015, 11:14 AM
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/61173799.jpg (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5375&title=61173799&cat=500)

4u2nvinmtl
04-11-2015, 01:12 PM
I mixed my old left over car soap, compound, polish, wax, sealant, and a small piece of clay hoping to get a true AIO...

I gave it to the guy with one bucket, but he used it on the interior.

Results:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/4u2nv_in_mtl/article-2349977-1A8747AC000005DC-611_634x451.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/4u2nv_in_mtl/media/article-2349977-1A8747AC000005DC-611_634x451.jpg.html)

Accumulator
04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Good:

I add a little IUDJ to my conventional-shampoo bucket.

And I mix 3D Pink with Griot`s Car Wash for my shampoo.

Bad:

Mixing FK425 with FastFinish didn`t work out.