PDA

View Full Version : Scratches caused by Carpro Rayon polishing pads and Zaino Glass Polish - help

Danspeed1
04-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Hello,

Decided to detail my 2005 Corvette. Everything was going well until i decided to tackle the glass. Car had some water spots I couldn`t get out of the windshield. I started by using glass clay on the windshield. Then I started on the passenger side with a Carpro Rayon Pad on my Rotary at setting 2 with some Zaino Glass polish. When I wiped the glass down I was shocked that there were deep swirls/scratches all over the area I had buffed. I have never polished glass before so it could be improper technique, but these scratches have me really concerned as I can`t see through the windshield clearly in that area. please help....

DG

0inDetail0
04-03-2015, 11:40 PM
You may want to wait for others to reply. I think the rayon pads were made to work with Ceri-Glass. I don`t know what Zaino specs for it`s glass polish. I have never used any of there stuff. That`s just where I would start. Glass is very hard and harder to polish then paint. I`m also not convinced that a rotary is the best tool for the job. Using a DA with random orbital design and taking more time would have been my choice. The rotary is just spinning in one direction.

Best bet. Call Corey at Car-Pro he is awesome and a wealth of knowledge and exceptional customer service. Take some pics and ask him if you can email them to him. He will do his best to help you fix it.

ShaneB
04-03-2015, 11:45 PM
What other steps did you try to remove the water spots before going so aggressive? Ive had luck using a mild polish such as poorboys PP on my DA and get windows very very clean. Ive even had goo luck by hand using megs water spot remover.

Danspeed1
04-03-2015, 11:57 PM
I`ve tried the same spots about a year ago with no results. M105 and an orange pad. Reading up on the Z-12 I think it might have been too aggressive. Glass is difficult. Nothing I have used seems to work, now this combo was WAY to aggressive. I hope I can fix this.

TCdetailing
04-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Yes curious as to what your process was. Here is a good video from Larry, that turned out well for me. Car Glass: Cleaning & Polishing | AMMO NYC (http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/car-glass-cleaning-polishing/)

Swanicyouth
04-04-2015, 04:50 AM
I can help you correct this. Many have gone through the same issue using a hodge podge of glass polishing products in conjugation with an unproven technique to result in jacked up glass. It`s not your fault - there just isn`t a lot of good info out there.

I`ve done a couple DIYs on Auto Geek on how to correct glass. I went through the same issue as you - jacked up my glass using LC glass pads.

This is a proven system that has worked for me:

-CarPro Rayon Glass Pads
-Cerri Glass
-GG6 DA polisher
-spray bottle with DI water

If you search AGO, you will find the right technique how to correct this. Basically, it comes down to polishing with the DA wide open and keeping the Cerri Glass wet by frequently spraying DI water - don`t let it dry.

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2015, 06:55 AM
I`ve tried the same spots about a year ago with no results. M105 and an orange pad. Reading up on the Z-12 I think it might have been too aggressive. Glass is difficult. Nothing I have used seems to work, now this combo was WAY to aggressive. I hope I can fix this.

I highly doubt the Z-12 was too aggressive, I don`t believe that is even a cerium oxide polish. As Swanic noted you need to keep the surface wet.

Danspeed1
04-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I can help you correct this. Many have gone through the same issue using a hodge podge of glass polishing products in conjugation with an unproven technique to result in jacked up glass. It`s not your fault - there just isn`t a lot of good info out there.

I`ve done a couple DIYs on Auto Geek on how to correct glass. I went through the same issue as you - jacked up my glass using LC glass pads.

This is a proven system that has worked for me:

-CarPro Rayon Glass Pads
-Cerri Glass
-GG6 DA polisher
-spray bottle with DI water

If you search AGO, you will find the right technique how to correct this. Basically, it comes down to polishing with the DA wide open and keeping the Cerri Glass wet by frequently spraying DI water - don`t let it dry.

I think I am going to order some Cerri Glass and give it another go. I did keep the surface wet while using the Z-12 but I guess the combination just didn`t work out. Just one note, the pads said for use with rotary or DA. I have been using a rotary since 2002, unfortunately have never had the need to go with a DA polisher. If this is necessary to get the proper finish on glass, I am out of luck,

DG

The Driver
04-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Research zeneth point technique, your essentially leaving hologram style markings in the glass. A proper reduction in speed should help along with keeping the surface lubricated. Be careful with any glass polish as a rotary will sling, any excessive sling can scratch wny freshly polished paint.

Danspeed1
04-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Be careful with any glass polish as a rotary will sling, any excessive sling can scratch wny freshly polished paint.
This is another major concern of mine as I just got the paint perfect. I might have to find someone with a DA to help me out.

DG