PDA

View Full Version : Did UPGP Change its Formula or Did I Get a Bad Bottle?

tmg19103
03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
I`ll just copy and paste the email I sent to the supplier to make it easy. Thoughts?

The info from my recent order is attached.

12 oz. Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

I have been using UPGP for years. I just broke out the new bottle I ordered from you yesterday. Has the formula been changed for UPGP? It does not go on slick at all from this bottle (which is cloudy in the bottle) and leaves drops that are more water-based. Before it left a slick, somewhat greasy finish that dried quickly where I often had to buff some streaks out on a black car. Now no streaks no matter how much I apply. The microfiber applicator feels like it just has water on it as opposed to the old slick product that had a distinct smell. Also, no date stamp on the bottom of the bottle. Every bottle I ordered in the past had one.

Honestly, it does not seem it is applying well at all - especially on plastic. Shows no sheen or greasy look that dried like in the past. There is no substance to it like in the past. More like water. Not sure anything is adhering. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and I will check beading. Unless the formula has changed from a year ago when I got my last bottle (and I have been using UPGP for years with a new bottle each year), I think I may have a bad batch with this bottle.

TroyScherer
03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
It has been changed to a new water based formula. It says this on the product page

"New formula is thicker, easier to apply, and it lasts longer!"

If I remember properly this change occurred a number of months maybe even last summer. I would guess at this point it might be hard to find any retailer that would have the old solvent based product anymore. Most seemed to really like the new formula.

Rsurfer
03-30-2015, 02:47 PM
It has been changed to a new water based formula. It says this on the product page

"New formula is thicker, easier to apply, and it lasts longer!"

The new formula has a red sticker on the front of the bottle, can`t miss it.

JSFM35X
03-30-2015, 03:22 PM
I probably have one or 2 bottles of the old formula if you are interested shoot me a PM. Now that I moved to coatings I been looking to move them out by trade or some other means. I am open to suggestions.

I`ll just copy and paste the email I sent to the supplier to make it easy. Thoughts?

The info from my recent order is attached.

12 oz. Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

I have been using UPGP for years. I just broke out the new bottle I ordered from you yesterday. Has the formula been changed for UPGP? It does not go on slick at all from this bottle (which is cloudy in the bottle) and leaves drops that are more water-based. Before it left a slick, somewhat greasy finish that dried quickly where I often had to buff some streaks out on a black car. Now no streaks no matter how much I apply. The microfiber applicator feels like it just has water on it as opposed to the old slick product that had a distinct smell. Also, no date stamp on the bottom of the bottle. Every bottle I ordered in the past had one.

Honestly, it does not seem it is applying well at all - especially on plastic. Shows no sheen or greasy look that dried like in the past. There is no substance to it like in the past. More like water. Not sure anything is adhering. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and I will check beading. Unless the formula has changed from a year ago when I got my last bottle (and I have been using UPGP for years with a new bottle each year), I think I may have a bad batch with this bottle.

tmg19103
03-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies - and the offer for the old stuff, but it does not have a long shelf life so I`ll see how the new stuff works. Just does not seem right after all the years with the old product, but I`ll give this water-based stuff a shot. It is not thicker in contrast to the old formula per the above Ultima quote. Much more watery than old formula. No worries with streaking on black I just applied it to, at least. I will feel I will have to use more of this product just because of how watery it is, though, so I`m not sure if I will stay or look for another WOWA sealant. Not cheap, and I knew I could get away with very little - and easy to apply very little with the old formula.

ShaneB
03-30-2015, 04:27 PM
I had a similar experience with a bottle of bfwd. Was watery and just not "right"

Shook the hell out of it and it made no difference. Wasn`t sure what was up. Same bottle I used before, just really watery.

After much more vigorous shaking I could feel something finally mix together and it was back to normal. Maybe try shaking it, a lot

Justins00ss
03-30-2015, 04:31 PM
I spoke with them at detailfest about the UTTG and that is water based as well. I am assuming its due to VOC laws.

Pats300zx
03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
I was at Detail Fest as well and Rick from Ultima confirmed that the new formula is water based. Says its much easier for shipping and VOC issues.