PDA

View Full Version : Klasse SG Layering?

AweSam8
03-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Hi!

I have a question about layering the Klasse SG product. I understand that you must wait 8-12 hrs before layering is allowed in order to cure the first layer. My question is, after the first layer, can I drive the car off then wash the car tomorrow and apply the second layer. And the same with the third (if desired). Or does the car have to be garaged with a car cover---inanimate overnight, and layer then next day? I was initially going to do one layer, but after much reading and research, seems like the best outcome would be to layer the Klasse SG. Any suggestions?

Also, what are your thoughts on Klasse SG on Vinyl Wrap with a semi-gloss finish (I have a carbon fiber roof wrap), and also on 3m paint protection film (I hear some say yay, some say nay).

THANK YOU!

TroyScherer
03-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Your process will work fine. That is how I do it as well. I usually do 2-3 layers over a weekend waiting a few hors in between coats. Then once a month I wash and add another layer as I decide to.

I have not tried it on Vinyl Wrap. I would guess it would be fine.

AweSam8
03-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Your process will work fine. That is how I do it as well. I usually do 2-3 layers over a weekend waiting a few hors in between coats. Then once a month I wash and add another layer as I decide to.

I have not tried it on Vinyl Wrap. I would guess it would be fine.
So I can drive the car, wash it the next day, and layer? Awesome! Thanks!

Accumulator
03-23-2015, 10:57 AM
AweSam8- That`s the way I did it if I couldn`t have the vehicle off the road for an extended period.

FWIW, I found that I got subtle appearance improvements up to four layers, but after that the look didn`t change. I did do more layers though, as IME the magic number for durability and etching-resistance was six. Then I`d refresh it at the first sign of a change in beading.

Six layers of KSG really *IS* something pretty special; I had it resist marring when some "oops!" incident had me fearing real paint damage. The "thick layer of acrylic"-effect is about as close as you can come to a coating.

FWIW#2, KSG is the one "daily driver LSP" that IMO compares with my beloved FK1000P with regard to protection and durability. Only downside (leaving the appearance issue aside) is the need for all that layering (fewer layers were only "Collinite-level durable", if that).

AweSam8
03-23-2015, 09:53 PM
AweSam8- That`s the way I did it if I couldn`t have the vehicle off the road for an extended period.

FWIW, I found that I got subtle appearance improvements up to four layers, but after that the look didn`t change. I did do more layers though, as IME the magic number for durability and etching-resistance was six. Then I`d refresh it at the first sign of a change in beading.

Six layers of KSG really *IS* something pretty special; I had it resist marring when some "oops!" incident had me fearing real paint damage. The "thick layer of acrylic"-effect is about as close as you can come to a coating.

FWIW#2, KSG is the one "daily driver LSP" that IMO compares with my beloved FK1000P with regard to protection and durability. Only downside (leaving the appearance issue aside) is the need for all that layering (fewer layers were only "Collinite-level durable", if that).

Holy crap---SIX! If I DID choose to do that many layers, is that something I can do throughout the month? I don`t have 6 days off in a row, and Seattle rarely has 6 days of sunshine, haha.

Back to the second layer question, instead of traditional washing, can I just quick detail or rinse-less wash it, assuming it`s not too dirty, then apply the second layer?

The Guz
03-24-2015, 12:22 AM
You will be fine with 2 coats. I was happy with 2 coats when I used KSG.

TroyScherer
03-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Holy crap---SIX! If I DID choose to do that many layers, is that something I can do throughout the month? I don`t have 6 days off in a row, and Seattle rarely has 6 days of sunshine, haha.

Back to the second layer question, instead of traditional washing, can I just quick detail or rinse-less wash it, assuming it`s not too dirty, then apply the second layer?

Yes, You can simply wash and re-apply as needed. I can vouch for the fact that there is truly somthing different and special with 4+ layers. 2 layers looks good but 4 is brighter and better IMO. And the more layers the more "bullet proof" it is.

Accumulator
03-24-2015, 11:42 AM
I`d be a little careful about rinseless washes/QDs, some might interfere with the bonding of subsequent layers of KSG.

Yeah, you can build the layers up over time if you can`t have the vehicle out of service for days on end.

If somebody`s happy with two coats, that`s cool with me, but I`d at least *try* doing more to see which approach is best for *you*. I only kept going after people here suggested an appearance diff after three or four, and that`s what I did in fact experience. I tried the six layers in an attempt to get over-a-year durability (while spot-claying regularly) and it did work out that way for me. But the best thing about all those layers was that it made things more marring-resistant, surprisingly so. The "nothing but washes for nearly 18 months" was merely a bonus.

Everybody`s using the KSG on black plastic/rubber trim, right? Refreshing it now and then with Sonus Acrylic Glanz....

AweSam8
03-25-2015, 12:42 AM
I`d be a little careful about rinseless washes/QDs, some might interfere with the bonding of subsequent layers of KSG.

Yeah, you can build the layers up over time if you can`t have the vehicle out of service for days on end.

If somebody`s happy with two coats, that`s cool with me, but I`d at least *try* doing more to see which approach is best for *you*. I only kept going after people here suggested an appearance diff after three or four, and that`s what I did in fact experience. I tried the six layers in an attempt to get over-a-year durability (while spot-claying regularly) and it did work out that way for me. But the best thing about all those layers was that it made things more marring-resistant, surprisingly so. The "nothing but washes for nearly 18 months" was merely a bonus.

Everybody`s using the KSG on black plastic/rubber trim, right? Refreshing it now and then with Sonus Acrylic Glanz....

Hi! Thanks for your feedback!

Am I supposed to clay each time before I add another layer? You mentioned applying it on plastic/rubber trim---is that recommended?

Don
03-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Am I supposed to clay each time before I add another layer? You mentioned applying it on plastic/rubber trim---is that recommended?

ONLY if you HAVE to, claying can induce micro-marring into the paint which will have to be polished out, which will remove the previous layer(s) of KSG. Since you`re going to be washing the car before applying another coat of KSG, do the baggie test right after the wash to reassure yourself that the paint is ready for KSG.

As for plastic/rubber trim, I have applied it to the trim (SMOOTH) on my car and it does clean/give a slight gloss to it, but I can`t say I`d recommend it for textured plastics.

AweSam8
03-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your input and help!

Accumulator
03-25-2015, 12:14 PM

No, no need to clay unless it somehow gets contaminated (don`t want to clay off the previous layers).

I use it on trim with zero issues, but I do use a wipe-on-wipe-off technique to avoid getting residual-product issues. And I *always* fog the surface with my breath when buffing KSG, the little bit of moisture seems to help.

And remember, thin THIN *THIN* :D If you can clearly see it on the surface you used too much (I go by feel). FWIW, I`d use far less than one ounce to do something Suburban-sized (still have lots left from my original jug from the late `90s, which I used to 6-layer many vehicles, and that`s after knocking it over and spilling it a few times).