PDA

View Full Version : 5" or 6" Polisher?

LeadingEdgeDetail
03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Hello!

I am going to be ordering the new Rupes Bigfoot polisher next week, and I am torn on which one to order...

I do a lot (5+ per week) of car lot details, which involve merely a 1-step polish/wax in one... I also do a few more involved polishing jobs per week, two steps, etc...

The car lots have a lot of trucks and larger vehicles which make me lean towards the 6" polisher, but I wonder if it will be too big for some areas, but would that extra inch be a big deal?

I see the LHR15ES uses 6" pads, right? And the LHR21ES uses 7" pads?

If you could only have one, which would it be?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!!

Pix for Clix:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/qo8eP-OfEAc/hqdefault.jpg

mnehls86
03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
I see the LHR15ES uses 6" pads, right? And the LHR21ES uses 7" pads?
You are correct if using the Rupes pads. The Rupes pads are beveled so the backing plates are actually 5" (6" pad face) and 6"(7" pad face). You can get a Rupes 21 and use the 5.5" backing plate from the 15 on the 21. Then you can switch them out if you are working on some really big panels. If you are using non Rupes pads you will be using 5.5" pads on the 15 and 6.5" pads on the 21.

XxBoostinxX
03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
You are correct if using the Rupes pads. The Rupes pads are beveled so the backing plates are actually 5" (6" pad face) and 6"(7" pad face). You can get a Rupes 21 and use the 5.5" backing plate from the 15 on the 21. Then you can switch them out if you are working on some really big panels. If you are using non Rupes pads you will be using 5.5" pads on the 15 and 6.5" pads on the 21.

+1. Get the 21 with the smaller backing plate. That is my setup and love it.

Paul Sparks
03-23-2015, 05:31 PM
^^^ Their advise mirrors mine. Rupes 21 and both backing plates. A win/win deal.

ShawnF350
03-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Read these two threads. Good input and Driver really gives input I was looking for.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/machine-polishing-sanding/179229-rotary-else.html
http://www.autopia.org/forums/everything-else/180009-buy.html

I just sold my two Griots polishers. Own the flex 3401. I bought the Rupes 15 open box recently. Haven`t even gotten time to do any cars but I`m only looking at 12 cars in my spare time this summer. (So far)
Waiting on delivery of a 75e.
I like Drivers suggestion but am waiting on the 21 if I need it. Also looking at the flex PE8.
Sound like that 21 is what you need.

LeadingEdgeDetail
03-24-2015, 10:58 AM
It`s in stock as of today so will be ordering the 21 and some pads this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Sparks
03-24-2015, 11:02 AM
It`s in stock as of today so will be ordering the 21 and some pads this afternoon

Be aware the 21 BP has a extremely powerful grip on the pads. Many switch over to another bp that KB offers with a little less grip.

LeadingEdgeDetail
03-24-2015, 11:38 AM
As long as it doesn`t destroy the pads

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Got my LHR21ES yesterday, and have a hammered red Chrysler 200 to polish today :) Looking forward to it!

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Well things went well on that hammered Chrysler 200, very hard clearcoat.

I ended up going with the green medium cut pad with a heavier polish to bring the paint back, then finished with the yellow polishing pad and my finishing AIO. They didn`t have any white finishing pads when I ordered, I will be getting those soon.

I am going to be placing an order for the smaller LHR75E later this week, and I`m wondering people`s opinion on getting the 5" backing plate and another set of pads?

The 7" pads definitely did not like the contours and sharp body creases of the Chrysler, it was really bad at first before the pad was broken in a bit, after using it for a few panels and washing the pad, it softened up quite a bit and was far more manageable. I`m wondering if the one size smaller will be that much easier?

Thinking the 5" backing plate and 6" pads would be good for cars, whereas I could save the 6" backing plate and 7" pads for hoods, and larger vehicles like the many pickup trucks I do.

The LHR75E 3" polisher will be replacing my PC 7424 with 4" pads, used for bumpers and pillars.

ShawnF350
04-14-2015, 10:26 PM
After using my 75e for the first time over the weekend.. It`s definitely something I`ll be reaching for on every detail.
You`ll love it.
Just got an email from the other site tonight. 15% off and no exclusions. I`m calling Ray tomorrow. Always seems to exclude Rupes.. But good for supplies.