PDA

View Full Version : First Wash of New Car

Pages : [1] 2

JSFM35X
03-18-2015, 11:21 AM
I usually use Dawn for the first wash to remove any BS wax that the dealer may have applied or wash added enhancers.

I now have reset in my arsenal and I wanted to know, does this replace the dawn.

Thanks,

Jeff

PA DETAILER
03-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Its my understanding that RESET is to be used on a coated vehicle to MAINTAIN (RESET) that shine. It is not a stripping soap.

CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-reset.html)

Beemerboy
03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
I`d clay the car after the wash to ensure that you`ve removed the old wax and anything else on the paints surface..also no dish soap wash

pwaug
03-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Dawn doesn`t really remove much of anything and leaves surfactants behind--take a look at this thread paying particular attention to post by PiPUK-- LSP stripping - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html)

I use CG Red at 1 oz per gallon to make sure I get the car really clean before a major polishing etc, but even that won`t remove a good sealant. It`s easy to test yourself--after a Dawn or CG Red wash you`ll note the water is not beading at all, but give it a wipe with IPA and the beading will come back because you have removed the surfacants.

Mike lambert
03-18-2015, 12:34 PM
If you are going to polish ,don`t worry about it. Most dealers use very cheap products that will probably wash off anyway

WaxAddict
03-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Its my understanding that RESET is to be used on a coated vehicle to MAINTAIN (RESET) that shine. It is not a stripping soap.

in that case, RESET is an unfortunate name for the product.

Accumulator
03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, skip the Dawn. In the absence of something like ValuGard`s ABC new car decontamination system (hint hint) I`d just mix up a really potent regular shampoo mix rather than use Dawn.

And yeah, the polishing will remove any dealer-applied stuff.

JSFM35X
03-18-2015, 01:25 PM
That is why I purchased it. It was my understanding that Reset removed the surface contamination and reset the coating its uncontaminated self. At that point, it should be performing better than before, is the idea (as I understand it)

CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-reset.html)

TroyScherer
03-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Reset will do good as a wash. But it`s not a super strong "stripping" soap. But it is a good soap that cleans very well.

Personally I don`t buy into the stripping soap anymore as these LSPs get better.

JVD
03-18-2015, 03:35 PM
in that case, RESET is an unfortunate name for the product.
The idea is to remove any contaminants and return the coating to its original state. It`s a maintenance shampoo and marketed as such.

They didn`t name it Ultra Strip 5000.

Bunky
03-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I would skip the stripping soaps and be sure the paint is clean like a paint cleaner such as AF Paint Prep.

Don
03-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Don`t overthink it. A quality CAR WASH soap, a two-bucket wash with quality mitts and MF towels and you`ll be set. With a brand new car, you`re going to want to go full-boat on the finish, meaning clay, compound (if needed) polish and seal.

Ronkh
03-18-2015, 04:40 PM
White`s gonna be tough

Ronkh
03-18-2015, 04:43 PM
imho

mix a good car soap + strong apc dilution

Accumulator
03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Guess I`m the only person who`s all about decontamination systems these days :D I`d ABC it, especially since it`s white.

Recommended by Jeep/Chrysler too....hey, I wonder if the dealer already used it? Aren`t they supposed to? Eh, wish Ketcham were still around here, I bet he`d know...