PDA

View Full Version : Your definition of a Paint Coating?

David Fermani
03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
There`s so much hoopla surrounding the latest & greatest buzz word to hit the world of detailing. I wanted to know from Autopians what they think a true paint coating is and why?

I really think Opti-Coat set the bar for the word, yet it seems like there`s a new company entering the market every month claiming their protection product is a coating when in fact it`s nothing more than a long lasting paint sealant. Is there a way to qualify a product to actually differentiate it as a paint coating?

jmsc
03-15-2015, 12:20 PM
I`m no chemist nor engineer. I have no idea what additives are in a sealant or a coating.

But, in my eyes, a coating better last me 1.5+ years. Where as a sealant I`ve never had one go beyond 1 year. So for now, durability is my judge.

David Fermani
03-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Shouldn`t there be more traits other than longevity to categorize a product as a "paint coatings"? Such as film build thickness (i.e. sacrificial barrier), environment protection, application, guarantee, chemical resistency?

silverfox
03-15-2015, 01:04 PM
If longevity is the only important trait then coatings are indeed the best marketing scam going today. Fact is, coatings usually need maintenance polishing, claying, etc just as non coated paint. The coating sacrifices itself and must be maintained or replaced usually before its theoretical life span is ever realized. When I hear words like permanent I have to laugh. Only if the car is never driven or taken outside again!

No, its not longevity claims that sells me on a coating. Its basically how incredibly easy it is to maintain the paint after it`s applied. I`ve taken coated cars of my own through hundreds of commercial touchless winter car washes...and the paint looks flawless. Driving in the rain used to make me mad...now I actually can say...great, I won`t have to wash my car this week!

To make ones life easier while having a great looking car without effort....is indeed what its all about for me. I certainly can`t say that with dirt magnet waxes which actually increases by maintenance costs, nor can most sealants curb maintenance costs. Coatings do in real $$$$.

David Fermani
03-15-2015, 01:16 PM
No, I don`t think longevity is the only trait a coating should stand on, but I also don`t think one should only last 9-12 months either. And, they shouldn`t need boosters to keep them going.

I also think that dirt shedding/ease of cleaning is a biggie. In fact, I instruct my coating clients to take their vehicles through the touchless wash.

Depending on the client and how they maintain their vehicle, polishing is a huge variable (both pre-coating & post).

flatstick
03-15-2015, 01:18 PM
For me a coating has to size up to opticoat . it should last over 2 years for sure. for me I like to see how it holds up to chemicals and everyday items like bird bombs and acid rain. a coating should be there to take the daily onslaught that my cc normally would have to. you should be able to wipe on for application and watch it melt into the paint. like others have said very low maintenance is a huge advantage with a coating for me.