PDA

View Full Version : Surface problem getting finish.

Kangel
04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Wonder what to do next! I had some ground effects put on my black bird by a body shop. When I picked it up I asked the guy how to fix this trunk. The finish of the clear coat just looked like in areas it had over spray(car was like this when I got it) and I told him I was going to go over car and detail it removing swirls. He told me to wet sand very gently with 2000 grit paper with a paint stick wrapped with the paper, very easy he said, so I did. Well after that I got out the SSR2.5 with a orange cutting pad. Wouldn`t touch them, went over it twice, then tried a polishing pad with SSR2.5, no luck. The surface feels ok but you can see the sand marks still. What should I do, go to a higher remover 3.0? I tried all speeds with the PC just didn`t matter. Wish I had some pics but no camera.

audiboy
04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
If the scratches are really fine, you might want to try a couple passes with a light abrasive polish and then a couple passes with a good, abrasive free polish also. I recently wet sanded also and this process took care of 95% of the scratches.

Kangel
04-28-2006, 06:02 PM
If the scratches are really fine, you might want to try a couple passes with a light abrasive polish and then a couple passes with a good, abrasive free polish also. I recently wet sanded also and this process took care of 95% of the scratches.

Well I went over it with a SSR1 with the cutting pad and polishing pad. Any other products that might help?

Brenton
04-28-2006, 06:14 PM
It simply takes time to bring back wetsand marks. It`s taken me 5 minutes to remove a single section of wetsanding marks. The keys is not to let it get too hot--not too bad for the PC I guess.

So you do SSR 2.5 or 3 with a cut pad until it seems to be doing okay (or you get tired). Then move to a polish pad, then SSR 1. Step back, use a halogen light, and see if it is clean.
If not, hit it again.
Sometimes a wool or heavy cut pad can make the whole panel look hazy. SSR 1 and a polish pad will bring it back immediately every time.

Don`t mist.

A caution. Remember that a medium or heavy cut pad can remove paint on edge, mods or trim without a burning smell and without notice. Tape edges (even below), and be careful.

holland_patrick
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
hummm plenty of problems...I see here..... not that is can`t be done but fixing wet sanding marks with the old PC is hard.. i did it with my rotary and had a heck of a time.. and took an hour on my hood..
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_5568.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_5576.jpg

my suggestions is to take your time ... when you think your done do it over with the same last step you just used... so i would try
2.5 cutting pad
2.5 cutting pad
2.5 polish pad
2.5 polishing pad
1 polishing pad
1 polishing pad
1 finishing pad

crank up the speed and hold on tight.. this will take time but you can correct it..

Kangel
04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Well I hit it probably 3 times with 2.5 and still seeing them, thats why I panicked and posted.

Kangel
04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
holland thats what I had when I started, but pic looks worse than mine...whew, good to see results. sure it will come back now, guess I need to give it longer work. What tape should I use in edge areas and trim?

budman3
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
First off, I wouldn`t go back to that guy for anything detail related. Clay probably could have removed the overspray and then you wouldn`t have a sanded and scratched up car. Anyways, If you have SSR3 then you probably should use it. I `experimented` wetsanding and removing with SSR3 with the PC and with time it came out. Just be cautios though, these are very abrasive polishes. If you dont have the SSR3 just try to keep going with the 2.5. 3M Painters tape (The blue one) can be used to tape trim. As said above, take your time and use slow, overlapping passes. Hopefully this will help and get you scratch free.

Kangel
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
When you say keep going over, how often should I reapply SSRR2.5?

budman3
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Until the scratches are gone or until you don`t want to go any further. You may want to find a helper from DC in your area or a professional that is good with a rotary to help you out.

Kangel
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Guys I just want to say thank you for your help with my situation. I was really worried, ya see the thing I did`t tell was this was the first time for me detailing a finish ever..LOL! It turned out like a mirror finish. Worked on it for a couple hours hitting er hard with the PC. SSR2.5 worked it out and stepped down from there. See I had to get this trunk done so I could mount spoiler....done deal. Can`t wait now to clay the rest of car and snappy her up to a mirror. Thanks again people!

Brenton
04-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Cool.

Aliengotpsi
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
heres your fix ----- Wet Sand with 2500-3000 grit then use some 3m cut compound , most paint shops have 3M - remember to make sure the surface of the paint is clean befor you sand and use alot of soapy water..

your welcome..

audiboy
04-29-2006, 08:49 PM
heres your fix ----- Wet Sand with 2500-3000 grit then use some 3m cut compound , most paint shops have 3M - remember to make sure the surface of the paint is clean befor you sand and use alot of soapy water..

your welcome..

It seems that he`s already found the fix. :wink: