PDA

View Full Version : Can Zaino handle this job?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MeddlingKids
03-05-2015, 12:16 PM
I recently purchased a 4 year old used vehicle and generally speaking the exterior is in great condition without dings, dents, scratches, etc. That said, the car does have some very faint cobwebs and tiny swirls, as you can see in the attached image. I have been using Zaino products for over 10 years, and while it has always excelled on new cars where I controlled the paint from the beginning, so far the products I have tried haven`t been able to remove these faint marks in the image. I have tried multiple coats of Z-5 and have tried Zaino AIO, which apparently contains very mild abrasives.

I purchased the Griot`s Garage Orbital polisher (and orange pads) with the intention of using it with the AIO or the Z-PC. This will be the first time I`ve applied any products to my cars by machine, having always done it by hand in the past. Can hand applied mild polish get these marks out, or do I need to rely on a machine to do the job? Lastly, should I explore other companies other than Zaino? Durability is important to me, but I also don`t really have the time to apply 13 coats of wax to my paint these days.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27213&stc=1

Setec Astronomy
03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Z-PC is what to use (with the machine). As far as whether that will be aggressive enough to correct that finish, you won`t really know that until you do a test spot. You should certainly be able to improve it.

JSFM35X
03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
I did not lioke having to use all the layers of the Zaino products and add the ZFX to cure it faster.

If you are good a polishing, and can get the paint exactally how you want it to be, explore coatings (GTECH EXO, C Quartz, or Gloss Coat)

I have a personal preference and experience with the EXo and Opticoat (now Gloss Coat-Purchased but not applied yet)

52split
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Polish with Reflect and coat with Optimum Gloss Coat. Gloss Coat is the easiest to apply and the finish it leaves is second to none. Have an almost full bottle of CQuartz UK I`m looking to get rid of due to the application process and it being finicky compared to Gloss Coat.

dpritchett
03-05-2015, 03:19 PM
ZPC is the Zaino polish ... there is no harm in trying it. IF it dowsn`t do the job, you can try a more aggressive polish. You shouldn`t have any problems using a machine to apply. I personally used Zaino for years, but have moved to the Blackfire line over the past two years -- still get great durability, but application is simpler.

JSFM35X
03-05-2015, 03:28 PM
good to know, I have 2 tubes of gloss coat and I am waiting for some good weather to try it.

Polish with Reflect and coat with Optimum Gloss Coat. Gloss Coat is the easiest to apply and the finish it leaves is second to none. Have an almost full bottle of CQuartz UK I`m looking to get rid of due to the application process and it being finicky compared to Gloss Coat.

Stokdgs
03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Meddling kids -
Welcome !

I am very experienced with all Zaino Products and advise you to use their Z-PC compound by hand and if no luck, then by the machine..
Use their spray detailer to keep the compound moist while you work it into the paint..

It would help us all if we knew what year and model car you are working on here..

Good luck !
Dan F

MeddlingKids
03-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies, everybody. I will test out the Z-PC this weekend, and if it doesn`t work, I`ll give something else a go.

Thomas Dekany
03-06-2015, 04:54 AM
What kind of car and year?

jmsc
03-06-2015, 09:49 AM
@52split...

How would you characterize the finish/looks of O-GlossCoat? Looking to buy some this month. Thanks.

MeddlingKids
03-06-2015, 10:42 AM
To answer the previous posts, this is a 2010 Porsche Cayman. I definitely don`t want to try anything too harsh initially, so maybe the Z-PC will be mild enough.

A quick question on products like Optimum Gloss Coat. After I wash, clay and polish, I would only have to apply one coat of Optimum Gloss Coat or are there other intermediary sealants/waxes I would need to apply first? This is quite a bit easier than the numerous layers of Zaino I have been applying all these years. Does it offer the same level of protection and shine?

Thanks again!

JVD
03-06-2015, 11:53 AM
To answer the previous posts, this is a 2010 Porsche Cayman. I definitely don`t want to try anything too harsh initially, so maybe the Z-PC will be mild enough.

A quick question on products like Optimum Gloss Coat. After I wash, clay and polish, I would only have to apply one coat of Optimum Gloss Coat or are there other intermediary sealants/waxes I would need to apply first? This is quite a bit easier than the numerous layers of Zaino I have been applying all these years. Does it offer the same level of protection and shine?

Thanks again!
Only the Gloss Coat.

You want the paint as bare as possible before applying. That means alcohol(or similar) wipedown before applying.

It will offer significantly more protection for a longer period of time. It shouldn`t need to be done again for years. In addition no quick detailers, additional waxes, etc. are required for maintenance.

As for gloss... that`s subjective I guess. I wouldn`t hesitate to say it will be as glossy as the Zaino. Gloss, IMO, comes from the prep though.

MeddlingKids
03-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Only the Gloss Coat.

You want the paint as bare as possible before applying. That means alcohol(or similar) wipedown before applying.

It will offer significantly more protection for a longer period of time. It shouldn`t need to be done again for years. In addition no quick detailers, additional waxes, etc. are required for maintenance.

As for gloss... that`s subjective I guess. I wouldn`t hesitate to say it will be as glossy as the Zaino. Gloss, IMO, comes from the prep though.

Thanks, this sounds like an awesome product! Theoretically, if I wanted to use it as a sealant could I apply it over a higher gloss wax?

EVOlved
03-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks, this sounds like an awesome product! Theoretically, if I wanted to use it as a sealant could I apply it over a higher gloss wax?

No it wouldn`t bond correctly you would want to apply the wax over the coating, if anything.

Scottwax
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Oh, it will look significantly better than anything Zaino has. Over the same prep, guarantee Gloss Coat looks better.