PDA

View Full Version : How to get pads to stop dusting

jw3571
02-01-2015, 10:50 AM
I have a bunch of pads that i use to with my random orbital buffer. I try to use dishwashing soap after i`m done to get all of the old polish out of the pads, but i must be doing a crappy job as the pads dust a ton the next time i use them. What am i doing wrong? Do i just need to buy new pads?

Ronkh
02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Are you sure they are dirty or is it the polish that`s dusting?

The Driver
02-01-2015, 11:03 AM
You shouldn`t be dry buffing, don`t soak the pad but using 2 sprays of atomized water works perfect for killing dust. Also, what pads and more importantly what polish and/or compound are you using?

David Fermani
02-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Cleaning your pads not only constantly, but properly is key to mitigating dust. I`ve tried hand washing and washing with a garden hose, but unfortunately you aren`t able to remove all the spent polish/paint residue thus causing dusting. The only way I have been successful is by power-washing my pads. Then mount them on my rotary for a spin dry coupled with compressed air.

Stokdgs
02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
You need to clean your pads better..

Snappy Clean in the envelopes has been working great in the Shop for years.

1 envelope or 1/2 envelope in about 3 gallons of water, soak the pads, knead the pads in the solution, rub the foam side against the other side, soak, knead, remove, rinse in the sink in warm water, squeeze dry and let dry somewhere on an end, and I never have anything in the pads including soap, etc., to hurt what I am doing...
Product cleans everything out of the pads.
Product very low foaming, so less of that to deal with..
Product smells great..
Product comes in envelopes, so no gallons of this or that to carry around and deal with..
Been doing this same process for years, works great..

Good luck with your research -
DanF

jw3571
02-01-2015, 09:52 PM
I`m using one of the HD polishes that does not dust. I`m nearly positive it`s old residue from old polishes.

mnehls86
02-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I`m using one of the HD polishes that does not dust. I`m nearly positive it`s old residue from old polishes.

It most likely is the old polish residue. I had that happen to me a couple times when I was just using dish soap and then the next time I used the pad it would start throwing dust immediately. I`m also using Snappy Clean like Dan mentioned. The stuff works great. Get yourself a dedicated pad cleaner and wash them again before you use them.

David Fermani
02-02-2015, 10:53 AM

It might not dust when being used, but it will still dust when it dries into a pad. It`s the nature of any polish.

jw3571
02-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Has anyone tried the Griots microfiber and pad cleanse or snappy clean the better bet?

Stokdgs
02-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Has anyone tried the Griots microfiber and pad cleanse or snappy clean the better bet?

Please read Posts #5 and #7, regarding Snappy Clean...

Anything named Griot`s costs $$$ more in some cases..

Good luck with your research !
Dan F

The Guz
02-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Tossing out Angus`s thread here. He seems to like DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator.

Angus` Top 10 Products for 2014 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/179365-angus-top-10-products-2014-a.html?highlight=)