PDA

View Full Version : Any advice before using Mytee Firebird?

MrCleanit
01-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I plan on using my new Mytee Firebird this weekend on my own car`s carpet first. Just wanted to see if there was any advice I could use before I got started?

Thank you in advance.

ShaneB
01-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Not much to think of... Just take care not to overheat anything. Don`t scrub super hard with the attachments, let the steam do the work.

Most importantly, use ONLY distilled water. Tap water will leave a bunch of nasty stuff in the boiler and eventually hurt performance

Lonnie
02-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Depending on where you bought it, the dealer may recommend using low-foaming carpet/fabric detergent/cleaner/soap.
There are a plethora of extractor-friendly carpet-cleaner products that can be used on vehicles.
I am using DSC Products, Inc recommended and sold by a local carpet retailer and carpet-care equipment dealer , but I am using them by hand with a microfiber to absorb the residue. It works well for me, but your new extractor should be infinitely better and save you a lot of time.

I still recommend on a thorough vacuum job before extracting. Some may disagree with that in the interest of saving time, but I think that the "big stuff" is better removed by a shop vacuum.

mrclean81
02-23-2015, 10:30 PM
The Firebird isn`t an extractor, it`s a steamer. I`ve had mine ever since they came out. Other than using only distilled water (can`t stress that enough), my only advise is to spray it away from everything for a few seconds once it reaches it`s temp when you first start, because it likes to spit at first. It will spit a little bit of blazing hot water, then quickly loose pressure. Give it a minute or so once that`s happens, then spray it again once the pressure builds back up until there is no more water blasting from it. This is normal for this unit, and only happens when its first heating up. Your good to go after that.

Lonnie
02-24-2015, 09:45 AM
The Firebird isn`t an extractor, it`s a steamer. I`ve had mine ever since they came out. Other than using only distilled water (can`t stress that enough), my only advise is to spray it away from everything for a few seconds once it reaches it`s temp when you first start, because it likes to spit at first. It will spit a little bit of blazing hot water, then quickly loose pressure. Give it a minute or so once that`s happens, then spray it again once the pressure builds back up until there is no more water blasting from it. This is normal for this unit, and only happens when its first heating up. Your good to go after that.

My mistake; sorry. I am just wondering how this unit compares to other high-end steamers on the market?

ShaneB
02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
I haven`t had much to compare mine to besides my $100 one I bought at home depot. And its wayyyy better than that one. More pressure, hotter, and more steam. I can only imagine when you start getting into the $500+ units they only get better and better.

I would like to see a comparison between the firebird and the McCulloch one I`ve read so much great stuff about. If the McCulloch has similar performance at $150 less in price, I`d be tempted to pick one up

mrclean81
02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
My mistake; sorry. I am just wondering how this unit compares to other high-end steamers on the market?

Haha it`s alright. It`s the Mytee thing..throws everyone off since they are so well known for their extractors. The Firebird is a good unit for the price. No way, in any scenario, would it compare to say a Dupray, but there is also a very big price difference between the two. It`s small, portable, and powerful. The only real gripe that most people have with it is that it doesn`t come with the triangle attachment, but again, that`s something you usually only get with the bigger and more expensive steamers anyway.

mrclean81
02-24-2015, 05:41 PM
I haven`t had much to compare mine to besides my $100 one I bought at home depot. And its wayyyy better than that one. More pressure, hotter, and more steam. I can only imagine when you start getting into the $500+ units they only get better and better.I would like to see a comparison between the firebird and the McCulloch one I`ve read so much great stuff about. If the McCulloch has similar performance at $150 less in price, I`d be tempted to pick one upI`ve worked on dozens of jobs with forum member The Gloss Boss, who has a really nice Dupray steamer, and it`s incredible. Not sure which model he has, but it has a built in extractor. Its not my place to say how much he paid for it, but I`ve had cars that I paid less for lol.

bswombaugh
02-24-2015, 08:27 PM
I haven`t had much to compare mine to besides my $100 one I bought at home depot. And its wayyyy better than that one. More pressure, hotter, and more steam. I can only imagine when you start getting into the $500+ units they only get better and better.

I would like to see a comparison between the firebird and the McCulloch one I`ve read so much great stuff about. If the McCulloch has similar performance at $150 less in price, I`d be tempted to pick one up

I have never had the pleasure of using the Mytee but I did buy a Mcculloch MC1385 last year on Amazon for about $200. I have used it on several vehicles and could not be more pleased with its performance. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better unit at such a reasonable price. I would highly recommend it to those detailers that are on a more limited budget.