PDA

View Full Version : New Polisher? Which one to choose?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kylemstn
01-06-2015, 08:13 PM
As the title explains I`m looking to invest in a polisher come spring and with so many options and factors I would like some second opinions. By any means I am not a professional detailer or have my own business, I guess I would fall into the category of the "Weekend Warrior." Every now and then I do correct cars other than my own for profit, (Neighbours & Family Members.)

I am focussed on either getting a GG6" or Rupes 5" with the 15mm throw. My only worry is that both machines may be to big to compound and polish the average car (Jetta, Civic, etc.) Budget wise I`m stuck at the Rupes cost and nothing more...

Would you guys suggest me going for:
A: Rupes.
B: The GG6" and adding a 3" backing plate if possible.
C: Lastly buying both the GG6" and GG3".
(Or suggest another combo?)

I`m sort of worried about getting the GG3" machine as I`ve heard there is hardly any power for cutting?

Again I understand this is a very general topic, I tried narrowing down specifics however if you have any other questions please ask!

Thanks in advance everybody!

jsou
01-06-2015, 08:18 PM
For a weekend warrior, I would take a trip to your local Harbor Freight and grab their DA for about $60 or less. You may then order yourself 5" & 3" Backing plates from the online resource of your choice. This option will free up more money for products, pads, etc.

Just my honest opinion.

kylemstn
01-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Live in Canada and don`t have access to Harbor Freight, thanks for your feedback!

jsou
01-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Ah, bummer. Adopt the same concept with the GG6.

I would say get the Rupes but just wondering how you will tackle the tighter/smaller panels with only one machine? You can always correct those areas by hand but I find it more efficient with the correct pad size and via machine.

kylemstn
01-06-2015, 09:22 PM
That was exactly my worry and exactly my leaning decision! May be a stupid question but why would GG make a separate 3" machine if you could just get a 3" backing plate for the GG6"? Is there any benefits to the smaller unit? Puzzled to why somebody would buy and have only just a 3" lol

Stokdgs
01-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Im with Jsou -

Get a machine that has the ability to use different sized backing plates - 3", 4", 5", and 6"...

The Griot`s bigger machine has been around for years.. They break sometimes and Griot`s replaces them...

This process could be a challenge since you live in Canada with respect to returning, etc., so perhaps you can find a Detailer Supply in Canada that sells the Griot`s machine and will handle any warranty issues, so you just get the new replacement from them, and they deal with the Yanks over in WA..

Their little toy 3" machine - not really sure what it would be used in but everyone who has one says it has no power for serious work..
It might be good for using a good glass compound on all the glass on your vehicles, etc...

Good luck with your research ! You have come to a really great place for products and information..
Dan F

pwaug
01-06-2015, 11:18 PM
I`m in the same boat as you "Weekend Warrior" with a few friends and family details now and then. I`ve had the GG DA for the last 4 years with a 3.5" backing plate for 4" pads and a 5" BP for 5.5" pads and haven`t found anything the GG can`t handle. At some point I`ll pick up a HF DA and mount the 3.5" BP on it permantly so I won`t have to change BPs as often. I wouldn`t waste the $$ on the 3" GG -- as you say there are allot of reviews saying it doesn`t have much power. Perhaps you could catch a good deal on the GG6 and purchase two--got mine for $100 from the rainforest.

bswombaugh
01-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Dittos on going with the GG DA with 3.5" and 5" backing plates. You should be able to handle most anything with this combination. Stay away from the 3" GG machine. I owned one and ended up selling mine. My opinion of it was that it was totally useless. It did not have enough power to do much of anything.

kylemstn
01-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Awesome information guys, thanks for the opinions and quality feedback.. Decision is made now, just needed that extra reassurance haha. Most likely going to purchase HD Cut and HD Polish with the unit and pads, heard lots of great stuff about the 3D products.

Zelfiris
01-07-2015, 09:57 AM
My first machine was a GG6. When I got my Rupes 15ES, I put on a 3" backing plate on my GG6 and dedicated it for that. The GG6 is a high quality polisher with lifetime warranty. I would not get the GG3.

jsou mentioned it and I`m going to say it too. Make sure you buy the 5" and 3" backing plates for the GG6. Anything bigger than 5" will be really difficult to do any corrections and the vibrations on your hands when using 6.5" pads is not fun at all.

I`m also in Canada and I know of a number of vendors locally if you wish to buy within the borders. PM me if you want their names. Otherwise Autopia and Autogeek are great selections if you are willing to pick up across the border

Accumulator
01-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Another vote for the GG 6" with an assortment of backing plates/pads.

I don`t have a Rupes (and I`d like to have their *21mm* unit), but I do have a scad of different polishers. One of my cars is problematic with regard to polishers "fitting" its panel contours, but *ZERO* issues using the GG. I even do most of the problem areas with a large pad, just using the outer edge or something like that, even though I *AM* a huge proponent of using 3-4" pads for spot-correction.

fdresq4
01-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Awesome information guys, thanks for the opinions and quality feedback.. Decision is made now, just needed that extra reassurance haha. Most likely going to purchase HD Cut and HD Polish with the unit and pads, heard lots of great stuff about the 3D products.

You "may" want to check out HD ADAPT also. It is a great one-step formula in which I have really liked using.

Steve

djmobil2
01-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Hello there,
I`m new to this forum and this is my first post here. So, I`ll start to say sorry if this question has been answered a lot of times before on other forum threads. I have been looking around for a polisher and wherever I look I see advertising for the Porter Cable 7424 XP. After reading around it looks to be a good choice (correct me if I`m wrong) but there are 2 starter kits for these polisher and I`m a little bit confused on which one to choose. There is the Porter Cable 7424XP & CCS Pad Kit and the Porter Cable 7424XP & FLAT Pad Kit. Both kits are being sold for $199 but I don`t know about the Pads differences so I can make a choice. I have a new 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid in white color, just bought it a few days ago, and a 2014 Toyota Rav4 in charcoal gray color. Since both cars are relatively new I don`t need to restore the finish nor fix scratches and I`m not planning to make a business. I want to apply BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Total Polish & Seal and BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal for now. Then in a couple of months I will repeat the process and will apply Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax.
Can anyone explain the purpose and difference between the CCS pads and the Flat pads and points me to the right direction? Is the Porter Cable 7424XP a good starter?
thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.

Accumulator
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM
djmobil2- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d better let somebody who`s more up-to-date on today`s pads cover that topic (though I will say that I use flat pads pretty much exclusively), but regarding the PCXP- many people love it, but it has a hollow shaft (that the pad mounts to) and I know people who have had that shaft fracture. If/when that happens, avoiding *SERIOUS* damage is a matter of luck. So I`d lean towards the Griot`s 6" polisher instead. Lifetime warranty, works well, zero complaints about mine.

djmobil2
01-08-2015, 12:12 PM
djmobil2- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d better let somebody who`s more up-to-date on today`s pads cover that topic (though I will say that I use flat pads pretty much exclusively), but regarding the PCXP- many people love it, but it has a hollow shaft (that the pad mounts to) and I know people who have had that shaft fracture. If/when that happens, avoiding *SERIOUS* damage is a matter of luck. So I`d lean towards the Griot`s 6" polisher instead. Lifetime warranty, works well, zero complaints about mine.

Ok, good to know. I`ll start my research on the Griot right now!
Thanks