PDA

View Full Version : [new here] All in one cleaning kit

Pages : [1] 2

nate4l1f3@yahoo
01-02-2015, 07:46 PM
I`m almost positive I`m posting in the wrong place but there are so many sub-forums so please forgive me.

I rcently bought my first brand new car and want to take care of this thing inside and out from the very start. It`s a silver 15 Elantra sport with leather interior and aluminum wheels. I`ve done some minor searching on here and I`ve never realized how important microfiber towels are :)

Now to my question. With so many products out there (head spinning) can someone recommend a starters kit for cleaning? With the car being new I don`t need any kind of repair tools or products, maybe something that includes an assortment of towels for cleaning and drying, washers mitt, wheel brush, leather cleaner and of course shampoo, wheel cleaner, was, spray detailer, and anything else that you guys can think of. I don`t mind spending the nescesary cash to make sure I have all I need. Thanks in advance guys and I look forward to learning.

A pic pic of car for reference ..http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26714&stc=1

Ronkh
01-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Welcome

My advice would be call Ray Vega tomorrow. He can talk with you and get an idea of what you`re looking for and can tailor it to your wants and needs.

btw....... welcome to the addiction. the never ending chase of more shine :D

Pats300zx
01-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome to Autopia !!! I am sure Ray will put be able to put together the perfect kit for your needs !!!

PA DETAILER
01-02-2015, 09:46 PM
How To Care For Your New Car - New Car Care Tips (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to-care-for-your-new-car-detailing-101.html)

BLACKFIRE Total Interior & Exterior Kit (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-total-kit.html)

Angus
01-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Welcome!

Lots of good advice above. Ray is the man to call :bigups

I`ll add: figure out your maximum $ budget since this hobby is filled with great products to choose from at all levels of affordability.

I really like: DP`s Total Interior Kit (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-total-interior-kit.html#.VKfqnGK9KK0)

Ronkh
01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
It`s not a hobby, it`s an addiction

Angus
01-03-2015, 08:41 AM
It`s not a hobby, it`s an addiction

Shhhh - we gotta get the new guy hooked first!

Ronkh
01-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Shhhh - we gotta get the new guy hooked first!

oops, sorry, my bad

Accumulator
01-03-2015, 11:59 AM
nate4l1f3- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, I myself sorta hope that detailing does *NOT* become a huge part of your life, at least not unless you really want it to be. Rather, I`d like to see you keep your new car looking great (and that`s "great in your opinion", yours being the only one that matters) without spending too much time/effort on it.

Heh heh#2, if, OTOH, you really are looking for a new hobby, it`s easy enough for auto detailing to take care of that ;)

Anyhow, some sorta-random, just IMO-type thoughts follow:

- single most important thing is washing/drying it without marring up the paint. Easier said than done as dirt is abrasive and will scratch if moved across the paint under pressure
- unless there`s some kind of wildcard factor in play, today`s leather interiors require virtually zero maintenance other than being kept clean; I hardly ever "treat" or "condition" my leather interiors and they`re fine after many years of hard use
- most "UV protection" stuff is, to put it nicely, unnecessary, at least if you`re not parking outside 24/7 in Arizona
- the differences between "wax" and "sealant" are becoming less significant all the time and many sealants don`t last/protect better than some waxes
- I`m in favor of keeping the whole thing pretty simple, with no "layering wax over your sealant" and nothing that needs redone all the time

Mr. Gloss
01-03-2015, 03:23 PM
And be careful when buying kits.

Some of the products are redundant. Since you have a "new" car, the interior will not require a cleaner unless you abuse it between treatments. The DP Interior Protectant has a built-in-cleaner that will keep your new interior clean forever with repeated use. The DP IP eliminates a cleaning product and a step.

nate4l1f3@yahoo
01-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments folks! I used to be OCD with my first two vehicles but havent given the same attention to my last 2 Buckets. I used to love cleaning the white walls on my Buick and Cadillac, polishing the chrome trimmings and getting the tires as black as possible, All this with basic products found at auto zone of course since I wasn`t aware of "this" world.

Has anyone heard of texbrite? I`m here in Houston and my cousin uses it at his detail shop. I would use it on the tires for shine and interior and it worked great. Although I want to stay away from the greasy shine look for the interior.

gogreen
01-04-2015, 03:18 AM
nate4l1f3- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, I myself sorta hope that detailing does *NOT* become a huge part of your life, at least not unless you really want it to be. Rather, I`d like to see you keep your new car looking great (and that`s "great in your opinion", yours being the only one that matters) without spending too much time/effort on it.

Heh heh#2, if, OTOH, you really are looking for a new hobby, it`s easy enough for auto detailing to take care of that ;)

Anyhow, some sorta-random, just IMO-type thoughts follow:

- single most important thing is washing/drying it without marring up the paint. Easier said than done as dirt is abrasive and will scratch if moved across the paint under pressure
- unless there`s some kind of wildcard factor in play, today`s leather interiors require virtually zero maintenance other than being kept clean; I hardly ever "treat" or "condition" my leather interiors and they`re fine after many years of hard use
- most "UV protection" stuff is, to put it nicely, unnecessary, at least if you`re not parking outside 24/7 in Arizona
- the differences between "wax" and "sealant" are becoming less significant all the time and many sealants don`t last/protect better than some waxes
- I`m in favor of keeping the whole thing pretty simple, with no "layering wax over your sealant" and nothing that needs redone all the time

Perfect post.

My 2 cents...

Over the counter stuff at walmart/autozone is pretty solid nowadays. Check out the meguiars ultimate line for affordable quality detail products. (Quik wax, Quik interior detailer, polish, liquid and paste wax, etc)

Accumulator
01-04-2015, 12:20 PM
...Over the counter stuff at walmart/autozone is pretty solid nowadays. Check out the meguiars ultimate line for affordable quality detail products. (Quik wax, Quik interior detailer, polish, liquid and paste wax, etc)

Their Quik Wax and Quik Interior Detailer (oh how I hate those cutsie spellings!) are simply *superb* products! The QID is about all an interior needs IME, as long as it doesn`t get subjected to some serious abuse.

For a (conventional) shampoo/Car Wash (and some other products too), I`d check around and find a place that sells DuraGloss. Many autobody/paint supply places have that line, along with Meguiar`s.

KBsToy
01-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

nate4l1f3@yahoo
01-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Their Quik Wax and Quik Interior Detailer (oh how I hate those cutsie spellings!) are simply *superb* products! The QID is about all an interior needs IME, as long as it doesn`t get subjected to some serious abuse.

For a (conventional) shampoo/Car Wash (and some other products too), I`d check around and find a place that sells DuraGloss. Many autobody/paint supply places have that line, along with Meguiar`s.

I may end up going with the Meguiar`s product line to start off. I need to get my towels and tools first then maybe graduate to the big boy products hahah. IDK?? Who is this guy y`all are telling me to call and his contact number?