PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions...

Pages : [1] 2

Phideaux
04-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Has anyone ever had a situation like this? I live in a fairly small town (pop. 4000) and there are two detailing services, one guy who has a full shop, mobile service, a staff, the works, and one guy who does it part-time out of his garage (me). Over the past few months, we’ve gotten to be friends, we borrow each others materials, and he sends me work that are smaller jobs he can’t fit in and I send him jobs that are outside my skill level. So all in all it has worked out pretty good for both of us.

The problem is there is a new guy starting up. We don’t mind a little competition, since there are enough people in the outlying areas and Canadians who cross the border to shop and gamble to keep all of us busy throughout the summer. The problem is that the processes and materials he uses aren’t exactly what you would call professional. My buddy got a call from a very concerned client and he was worried that the method he uses would ruin his paint. After assuring him that it won’t happen, he found out the client heard this from the new guy.

I had a family member call this guy to get a quote and find out what his deal is. The guy told him that “he doesn’t believe in buffers of any kind. They just ruin the clearcoat and make things worse.” He says he does everything by hand to avoid swirls and scratches, that there are guys in town who use rotary buffers but “they have to use so many other chemicals to hide the damage that the buffer does.” He doesn’t use any type of polish or sealant. He uses a wax from Canada that, he claims, is guaranteed for two years!! “You won’t have to wax your car for two years” His process is this, wash the car, wipe on this “special wax”, Armor-All the tires, vacuum the interior, AA the interior. Period.

I can place an ad in the local paper pretty cheap. I’m wondering if I should place an stating the benefits of a PC and/or rotary, or should I just let things run their course and when people realize that what he says doesn’t hold true, they’ll be back. What would you do? I’m just concerned that if he gets to too many people, he’ll give other detailers in the area a bad rep.

budman3
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Don`t bother doing anything. If anybody confronts you and asks why you do what you do, tell them. Then do the best job as you can and prove without words that you are better than the other detailers. What would you put in the ad? "I use buffers to make the job quicker and oh ya it removes swirls too" That doesn`t do much... It sounds like people aren`t going to like `the new guy` but if they do, you`ll have to out do his work and prove your process that way.

Brenton
04-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I`m an anti Buffer guy.
I use it every day.
I just am a minimilist-do as little as will do the job. I also purchased a chemical buffing system to avoid buffing.
But I use it every day.

audiboy
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I would just let your work speak for itself. If customers call you asking about buffing by machine, be honest and up front. While the misinformation the new guy is handing out probably won`t help your business, his finished product won`t help his.

maximv1
04-24-2006, 08:37 PM
just reading your post i can tell you not to worry. that guy will not be in business long. most customers are more concerned with the finished result, not the procedure. he may get some work, but he won`t get good feedback. jsut wait it out and stick together with your buddy and you will do o.k.

tooklean
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I currently don`t use a buffer either not because I don`t want to I know that using a rotary will greatly enhance some of the work I just have not had the proper training. I do however machine polish with my cyclo. If I feel that the job is out of my scope of experience. I tell the customer up front this way you avoid problems on the back end. I do however wash, clay, polish & seal which has given me good results. The name of the game is honesty.:)

Mikeyc
04-25-2006, 09:48 AM
just reading your post i can tell you not to worry. that guy will not be in business long. most customers are more concerned with the finished result, not the procedure. he may get some work, but he won`t get good feedback. jsut wait it out and stick together with your buddy and you will do o.k.
You bring up an excellent point. Most customers are not very inquisitive about the process. They really don`t care how you do it. They just care that it looks good in the end.

From your story, it sounds like your competition is offering up information about his process to differentiate himself from the competition (i.e. you and your friend). It`s a simple marketing ploy. If I were you I would just wait until anyone asks about your process before defending it, because most people won`t care.

Aliengotpsi
04-29-2006, 08:55 PM
if you own an auto detailing business and dont use a buffer for paint recond. you will be going out of business soon.

My .02

!Danny!
04-30-2006, 06:27 AM
There is one thing you could do, and that is to get in your own long life sealant package... something like ValueGard. Then you will be offering a better product than his `2 year wax`.

Other than that, you have nothing to worry about, he sounds like a bucket and sponge operation to me.

MrRogue
04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
It seems like you are the detailier, the other guy just washes cars....... just explain to anyone who asks the difference between the two.

BLACKWRX
05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
he probably doesnt know how to use a buffer......
hows that guys swirl removal?
he probably just does light detailing, how much does he charge?
i doubt that guy has repeat business

dr_detail
05-09-2006, 12:24 AM
my 2 cents...

Keep focused on doing what it is you are doing and don`t waste your time worring about what he is or isn`t doing -- if you`re doing a good job your customers will know it!!

PhaRO
05-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Maybe run an ad or special and emphasize your ability to buff correctly but it`s probably not necessary. I know many here can rotary buff a car and achieve great results without added problems. I think those that come here are very dedicated and are the exception rather than the rule. The following doesn`t apply to you. It`s been my experience that most the use a rotary make the car look great for 1-3 washes then it looks like hell. I don`t run into too much paint burning but the buffer tracks are very common. Sadly I run into them a lot with new vehicles that were prepped at the dealers. Then there is the customers that picks up a nice shiny used car. If I had to bet wether that shiny used car was going to show tracks after washing, I`d put my money on yes. I use a PC often and a rotary on occasion. Bad mouthing another business is always a no no in my book. I think it`s ok if someone is against buffing to state that, just don`t single out another shop.

GraniteState
05-20-2006, 01:29 PM
If this does effect your business get together with the other guy in town and offer a free seminar to educate your consumer. Have it broken down into different catagories and keep it simple. It might even bring in more business because it will show what a true pro can do...

other than that I don`t think it will effect business to much. If the price is well below yours it might effect you short term until his bad word of mouth gets out then it will be business as usual.

Never bad mouth your competion it only reflects badly on you..

Tex Star Detail
05-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I agree what everyone else says.......Don`t worry about it. He doesn`t sound like he will be in business too long.
Here is 2 ideas you can try out....just an idea though.
1. Detail your car perfectly. No swirls or scratches. I mean make it look new again. Then, get a quote from him. If it not too high, suck it up and get your car detailed by him. Don`t tell him you are a detailer. Lets see if your car comes back in better or worse condition. I do not know if it a good idea or not though....

2. Again...detail your car perfectly. EXCEPT for 1 fender. Swirl up your fender pretty good. Wash it with a wash cloth and dry with another. Just get it swirly.(make sure you will be able to fix it yourself if needed) Call the guy and tell him you needed to get your fender detailed. Make up some excuse why though. Your friend tried detailing it or something. See if it comes back in flawless like the rest of the car.

I dunno. I think you should do something like that. Or try to find some of his work.

I may be talking out of my rear.....