PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Microfiber cloths

Pages : [1] 2 3

bsibaja
12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
So I tried to use Optimum No Rinse the other day. Car was pretty dirty (winter road grime) so I picked up some new microfiber cloths and went to the task using a double bucket and as many cloths as I felt were needed for the job.

When each cloth was done I feared that they would be stained from the grime and not just dirty.

Using Griots Microfiber soap I threw all the dirty cloths in the wash... http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/88929a201d96b226196adb4d2f37c274.jpg

The results were poor. The towels ARE stained, and it would probably take some harsh hand washing to get them anywhere close to yellow/clean again!

What is everyone here doing to not waste towels? Do you re-use them stained? I appears as though most of the dirt is gone, but I am not sure.

[emoji17]

bsibaja
12-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Here`s an example of what it looks like AFTER the wash. This towel was only partially used on one side.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/11157f0d596ce568ec0044efbf490831.jpg

House of Wax
12-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Hmm....I`ve been using 3D Towel Kleen and haven`t had any trouble with my towels coming out looking good.

David Fermani
12-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Look on the bright side.....not like the staining is causing your towels to perform any differently.

colinpd137
12-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Hmm....I`ve been using 3D Towel Kleen and haven`t had any trouble with my towels coming out looking good.

Likewise

Accumulator
12-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Look on the bright side.....not like the staining is causing your towels to perform any differently.

Right. I think this gets overlooked.

While *some* staining could be residual [stuff] stuck to the MF material, and thus a genuine issue, IME almost all staining is of zero functional consequence. Same ol` same ol`...when in doubt, inspect under magnification and CD-test before touching your paint with it.

WaxAddict
12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Try soaking in an APC then another wash. I always set my machine to do a second rinse. If I can remember, I`ll add a little vinegar to the rinse cycle. Afterwards, regardless of stains, you should be good to go.

Some people might say that if you got a MF towel THAT dirty, you pushed the limit of an ONR wash.

pwaug
12-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Same here and it`s inexpensive too!!!

Mr. Gloss
12-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I`ve been using Charlie`s Soap for years, followed by a 7% acidity vinegar rinse. Very satisfied.

I`ve also used Norwex powder detergent. One tablespoon cleans about 20 towels, followed by a 7% acidity vinegar rinse.

Satisfied. And very inexpensive.

My other option is homemade soap.
Zote/Borax/Washing Soda.
Vinegar rinse.
Another inexpensive mix that does the job well.

bsibaja
12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Bare with me as I am new to this Microfiber cleaning stuff...
But it seems as though some of you guys are OK with stained towels.
Then somebody spoke about checking for microscopic residue?!?! What`s a CD test???

bsibaja
12-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Thx for the diy cleaning solutions. I need to look into the vinegar option.

House of Wax
12-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Bare with me as I am new to this Microfiber cleaning stuff...
But it seems as though some of you guys are OK with stained towels.
Then somebody spoke about checking for microscopic residue?!?! What`s a CD test???

Take your towel and wipe it on a cd and you should easily be able to see if it`s causing scratches or not

Bill D
12-27-2014, 08:27 PM
I`ve been using Charlie`s Soap for years, followed by a 7% acidity vinegar rinse. Very satisfied.

I`ve also used Norwex powder detergent. One tablespoon cleans about 20 towels, followed by a 7% acidity vinegar rinse.

Satisfied. And very inexpensive.

My other option is homemade soap.
Zote/Borax/Washing Soda.
Vinegar rinse.
Another inexpensive mix that does the job well.

Big Charlie`s soap user here too. It leaves MFs nice and clean. Not to mention my laundry

GettingStarted
12-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Any tips for sealant and wax removal towels that accidentally got mixed with glass towels? They bead water and seem to be pushing the glass cleaner around instead of actually absorbing it.

ShaneB
12-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Might want to give megs RFEW a shot sometime. That stuff amazes me at how well it releases dirt/grime from microfibers when doing a rinse less wash. I`ve tried ONR and UWW+ and neither of those release dirt from my MF nearly as well as RFEW