PDA

View Full Version : Questions about aggressive clay

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maxima Lover
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Right now I`m using Clay Magic (the blue one) and I have problems with taking off some small contaminants (mostly on the bottom of cars) and other crap stuck on the paint. What can I expect when using a more aggressive clay? Is it alright to use on cars normally? Does it make the paint feel different from the fine grade clay?

GregCavi
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
The difference with the more aggressive clay is that is leaves marring usually that the lighter stuff does not.

Greg

Maxima Lover
04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
The difference with the more aggressive clay is that is leaves marring usually that the lighter stuff does not.

Greg

That`s what I was afraid of. I was really wanting it because lately I`ve come across a couple of cars that have what looks like dried up dirt that hasn`t been cleaned off the bottom of the car, and that just won`t come off.

Kind of off-topic, but why does it cost $10-$11 for the Clay magic kit that comes with a 113 gram bar and lube and when you buy the 200 gram bar alone, it`s $25? Am I missing something?

bigron62
04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
be careful with agressive clay . i had a very bad day once using a heavy clay i had to break out the rotary and heavy compound and clean up a very bad mess ... the most stressful day in my detailing career ... use the least agressive method always for any detailing work .. not trying to tell you what to do just trying to save you some grief ..ron

budman3
04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I have had no luck with the clay magic blue bars. IMO I will not use them again in the future because there are others out there that I like better. For something that doesn`t come out with clay, I`ll hit it with some Tar and Sap remover or something like that. Check out the table that I made in reference of Clays and prices and such.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detailing-clay-and-clay-lubricant/17156-clay-bar-lube-pricing-comparison.html

Maxima Lover
04-23-2006, 10:08 PM
be careful with agressive clay . i had a very bad day once using a heavy clay i had to break out the rotary and heavy compound and clean up a very bad mess ... the most stressful day in my detailing career ... use the least agressive method always for any detailing work .. not trying to tell you what to do just trying to save you some grief ..ron

Thanks, that`s the information I want to hear. I have heard so much conflicting information about clay, I just wanted to check to see what some of you said.

Maxima Lover
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
I have had no luck with the clay magic blue bars. IMO I will not use them again in the future because there are others out there that I like better. For something that doesn`t come out with clay, I`ll hit it with some Tar and Sap remover or something like that. Check out the table that I made in reference of Clays and prices and such.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detailing-clay-and-clay-lubricant/17156-clay-bar-lube-pricing-comparison.html

Which clay do you prefer?

I`ve tried the tar and sap remover with no luck.

I was checking out those tables. They`re great! Like you said, it seems like all these companies are trying to confuse people by using gram/ounces, and including different things.

CalgaryDetail
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
what i like to do when having trouble with clay (as not everything comes off with it) after im done i go over the paint with a paint cleaner. I only do this in the more extreeme cases but it has worked well for me. I would aslo recomned adams or megs clay they both work really well

TrueDetailer
04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
The red clay is mostly used at dealerships, it removes industrial fallout,rail dust from transport alot quicker. Which can cause some slight marring if used incorrectly.

I use it when i need to, it works great on white cars.

Maxima Lover
04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
what i like to do when having trouble with clay (as not everything comes off with it) after im done i go over the paint with a paint cleaner. I only do this in the more extreeme cases but it has worked well for me. I would aslo recomned adams or megs clay they both work really well

What type of paint cleaner do you use?

joe.p
04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Wassup bigron. I remember asking the same questiom sometime ago and you gave me the exact answer this is why i never used the megs claybar(aggressive) and purchased new clay.So thanks for the heads up btw,use the P & S no rub polish on the wheel wells of a lexus 470 and the enginebay of my park Ave.very easy to work with and left a nice gloss finish without streaking,major time saver,Thanks for taking the time to send it. it was appreciated.
joe.p

kaos
04-24-2006, 07:51 AM
I used the Clay Magic blue clay for a while before recently purchasing some Wolfgang. I never encountered anything that I actually could not remove at all. Some very stubborn spots of tar or little rust-colored specks (rail dust?) required a good deal of work, and some extra rubbing. Those spots did end up micromarred, but it polished right out.

-Kaos

CalgaryDetail
04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
What type of paint cleaner do you use?
I use megs profesional cleaner. I use it very very very realey (actully ive only used it twice) but it came out amazing after

joyriide1113
04-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Using a Deco-Kit from ABC or FK1 followed by mild clay is better than using aggresive clay.

gator1
05-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I Have Always Used A Mild Clay , I Have Seen And Herad Of Massive Damage On Paint. I Belive That If Its That Bad I Get Mr High Speed Out And Go To Town.