PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider a Bulk Product? And why?

Pages : [1] 2

David Fermani
12-14-2014, 06:37 PM
I can`t help see people refer to a certain types/brands of detailing products as "bulk" or "high volume" or even "low end". What brands do you consider to fit into this category and most importantly why?

fdresq4
12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Rally car wax. At work it`s the only thing they would buy because it was the least expensive. Sadly, by the next week, the protection was gone...LOL! I think there may have been other contributing factors as to why the protection didn`t last.
BTW, I have nothing against Rally Wax.

WaxAddict
12-14-2014, 07:32 PM
I can`t help see people refer to a certain types/brands of detailing products as "bulk" or "high volume" or even "low end". What brands do you consider to fit into this category and most importantly why?

Cherry Wax is something I`d consider bulk. I`ve never heard of anyone seeking a product like this in a 16 oz size. It`s sold by a few different companies as the same product, and likely is made by Wurth and stored in silos. I perceive it as something the "hand wax" car wash outlets use.

The Driver
12-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Any apc as I go through more then I can keep track of, even sonax wheel cleaner.

Accumulator
12-15-2014, 01:09 PM
To me, "bulk" means something I buy in larger-than-normal quantities- like a 5 gallon pail of carwash shampoo or a gallon of IUDJ concentrate or a gross of MFs. (OK, that does raise the question of "what`s *your* definition of larger-than-normal?")

Swanicyouth
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Bulk: anything with "cherry" or "butter" in the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcjredline
12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
To me "BULK" is a gallon. But I dont have a shop and only do MAYBE 1-2 cars average a month. So a 16oz would usually last me quite awhile by itself.

David Fermani
12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
I`m referring more to the actual brand/line of products. I.E. like Auto Magic, Carbrite, Ardex, PRO, Sterling Labs and even 3D.

Some tend to look down on these brands because they cater to clients who buy their products in bulk (5 gallons or greater). Like Dealerships, Auctions, High Volume detail shops.

Seems like a huge division in perceived quality between these "bulk" companies and ones who cater to the the enthusiast/high end crowd. I don`t see a lot of detailers mention using these lines? Just wanted to get people`s view as to why?

Accumulator
12-15-2014, 02:44 PM
David Fermani- Ah, OK... I like certain things from TOL`s Hi-Temp line, stuff like AkyraClean and their Protein Stain Remover. And then there`s always AutoInt`s ValuGard line.

Bunky
12-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Meguiar`s, Majestic Solutions, Instafinish (probably the source of some CG product)

SYMAWD
12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Technician`s Choice is what we use at one of the dealers I work at. Some of the products are great though such as their aerosol glass cleaner.

Audios S6
12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Very generally, I would consider bulk/volume to be a function of size. 1-5 gallon offerings is where I would draw the line (depending on the type of product).

I think you are right, David, that these products are generally associated with volume based operations and as a result may get a bad reputation. I also think it`s a function of the chemistry of the products. companies using particular chemistry that is 30+ years old and not moving the ball forward would also fall into this category. Specifically, use of particular acids and alkalines that are very cheap and have what I think of as better alternatives. Also, companies with polishes that are full of fillers rather than have good correction ability.

As far as brands: I think you mentioned all the ones I consider: ardex, meguiars, carbrite, c.a.r. Products, Automagic chemical guys, and yes, 3D too. Why I don`t consider HD as a bulk company is questionable; kind of like, I`ll know it when I see it.

I don`t explicitly consider these brands to be inferior, but many of their products don`t suit my needs. That said, many do meet my needs and I have no problem using them.

dcjredline
12-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Surprised to see Meguiars on this list. Hmm

Audios S6
12-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Surprised to see Meguiars on this list. Hmm

They have the detailer line and you can get plenty of 5 gallon products. You can even get 55gal drums of their stuff. I don`t consider bulk to be a bad thing. I have plenty of detailer line stuff; d108 and d156 are staples for me. But d108, for example, is using old and cheap chemistry, which to me, qualifies as bulk/volume oriented; doesn`t make it a bad thing. Meguiars is using newer [detailing] chemistry and tech as well in some products and always innovating.

If you look at the other brands listed and don`t think that meguiars has substantially similar products in the detailer line, check out a few msds sheets. ardex proper compared to d143 and automagic red hot/white tire cleaner, or d140 to ardex acid wire wheel are a couple i found very quickly that are quite similar.

Out of curiosity, what would you say disqualifies meguiars from the bulk category?

Maybe not the best example, since they seem to have fallen from grace a bit....but to drive home the point that bulk isn`t bad....would Optimum not be considered bulk? They do supply vehicle manufacturers which would definitely qualify as volume based operations. I think one could reasonably argue that they are.

The Driver
12-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Classes Imo ~

Ultra status
Swissvax, Polish Angel, Modesta, Kings, Rupes, Flex, Microfiber Madness

Top tier
Car-pro, 1Z, Gtechniq, Menzerna, Blackfire, Sonax, Ammo products, Cobra, Lusso, P21S, Sonus

Mid tier
Meguiars, Optimum, HD Car care, Griots Garage, Lake country, Wolfs, Buff N shine, 3M, Ultima, Speed prep

Low tier
Chemical guys, Duragloss, Poor boys, Collinite, Mothers

Both mid an low tier are bulk an burn through products, soaps, pads, polishes, brushes. I`m basing this on price, economy, rarity & performance.