PDA

View Full Version : hi, new to detailing, kinda.

nujav
12-12-2014, 07:09 AM
hi all, some what noob here, i own a porter cable and jet black m3 that i am working on. so far i`ve done half of the car and very happy with the outcome... moving on to the back of the car soon which has 4-5 parking sensors, at this point im not sure if i should polish up the parking sensors, or should i tape them up? 1 of the parking sensor looks discolored, i think maybe hand polish this sensor up and it shall match up like the other sensors... what do you guys think? is it safe to polish the parking sensor?

RaysWay
12-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Welcome to Autopia! Have any pics?

GearHead_1
12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Welcome to Autopia.

Stokdgs
12-12-2014, 12:47 PM
I just gently clean the parking sensors and never polish because they are sensitive and located in the bumper.. Then I may tape them so nothing accidentally hits them..

They are plastic, so use something that is easy on that film, ok ?
Dan F

tropicsteve
12-12-2014, 01:39 PM
welcome to AF. what kind of products are you using?

nujav
12-13-2014, 02:59 AM
thanks for the info on the sensor, i have no pics, my camera is not that great and the garage im working in has crappy lighting plus its filled with junk and its a really tight space i have to work in..

products i`m using are
wash - meguiars gold class and optimum no rinse
claybar - meguiars clay kit
compounds - m105/m205, mainly only using m205 for the whole car
wax - acrylic werkstat jett trigger sealant
pads - b&s black pad for finishing or polish, i forgot i`m not sure which one it is

i think thats all of it, i may have forgotten some stuff

man this work is tough, i`ve spent quite a lot of time on this and i`m still not finished lol.. but hey its fun, except for the prep work lol

right now i think ill go with a wash and wax next time for washing... this way i never have to wax again right??

Angus
12-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Welcome!

Pats300zx
12-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Welcome to Autopia !!!

House of Wax
12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Welcome

Billy Jack
12-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Welcome to Autopia!
I have two vehicles in the family fleet with body-colored park sensors. I`ll usually just tape them off to avoid the cleanup time, then use a bit of Meguiar`s Ultimate compound or D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream by hand.

Bill

nujav
12-14-2014, 01:13 AM
thanks guys, so i was working on the car last night, still have not touched the back of the car yet but the sensors are some what indented into the bumper so the porter cable probably wont even be able to hit it.. but the sensor does look like there`s oxidation on it, it looks like a white film that wont completely wipe off by hand wash or my fingers, it also felt like it was metal since it was a little cold to touch... should i hit it with some m205 by hand? i also have scratch x 2.0... these items should be safe by hand on the sensor right?

also another question, is a 5.5 inch pad enough to do the whole car? or would i need a smaller pad to get to some spots? the trunk looks somewhat hard to do with the 5.5" pad

heres a pic of what i have to do next, the whole bumper and the trunk, this is not my pic but its the same color and car, do i have to tape up the tail lights too?

mjlinane
12-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Welcome to Autopia!