PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on new rims from the socket used to install the LUGNUTS!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

atlantarange
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi all.. I just had a new set of rims put on my Range Rover today. When I got home I noticed scratches on the wheels from the sockets used when installing the lug nuts. So the hole where the lug nuts sit have scratches. I am pissed as the rims are NEW. 2 questions.. How do I prevent this from happening in the future? I would think tire shops would take better care to prevent this. What can I do now to try to remove the scratches? They are not real noticeable but very noticeable to ME. The rims are OEM Range Rover wheels. Any help would be appreciated.

Swanicyouth
12-05-2014, 08:43 PM
IME tire shops suck. You have to put yr car up on 4 jack stands and bring them the wheels. Keep yr fingers crossed they don`t scratch the lip when mounting the tires.

This is EASILY avoided by just wrapping electrical tape around your socket and not using an air gun. They do sell special rubber lined sockets as well.

Bottom line : They owe you new wheels. Even the WORSE shops prolly couldn`t say the wheels "came that way" (new wheels) with a straight face.

atlantarange
12-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Is there a polish that I can grab at auto zone tomorrow or somewhere that can help?

tropicsteve
12-05-2014, 09:36 PM
are the wheels aluminum, chrome plated, etc.? if you get a chance, post some pics if possible.

GearHead_1
12-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Swanicyouth is right, this is completely avoidable using either a thin wall or protected socket.

Stokdgs
12-05-2014, 11:29 PM
If this was my vehicle, I would have looked it over before I drove it away and made them replace the wheels on the spot..

Now, you can if you want, go back and tell them to replace all the scratched wheels with new ones, no exceptions.

The idea is to let them monkey around with fixing the wheels and not inconvenience you for a minute which they are already doing because you have to go back.

Be polite but firm and ask them to replace the wheels they scratched with new ones and to not scratch the new ones...

They have insurance to cover stuff like that I imagine..

I once bought a new IS350 Lexus and they scratched all 4 new wheels doing something and they had to replace all 4...

Sorry this had to happen to you..
Dan F

atlantarange
12-06-2014, 01:49 AM
thanks for the advice and I will try this method. What I am also asking is if this doesn`t work, what can I do personally to fix the scratches?

EVOlved
12-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Happened to mine the first time I got the tires rotated as well..

PA DETAILER
12-06-2014, 07:08 AM
I have been lucky with monroe doing my rotations. Look into your socket size. They sell rubber or plastic socket protectors just for this issue.

Maybe some scratch x from megs will help remove the scratches.

RaysWay
12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Maybe some scratch x from megs will help remove the scratches.

+1. Try a test spot by polishing by hand. If they`re OEM clearcoated wheels, I would try a cleaner wax first. If that doesn`t work try a plastic polish (Mothers Plastic Polish can be found locally) before trying a finishing polish or swirl remover.

I don`t expect any quality or careful work from tire shop chains. I bought used rims and tires on Craigslist for my Maxima a few years ago and had them installed/balanced at a shop. When I watched the driver park my car, I noticed they forgot to add air to the tires!! I would figure, if you`re going to balance and mount rims/tires to a car you`ll check the air pressure before sending the car on its way. Maybe next time try and find a specialty rim shop and talk to the owner/manager about your past experience with the other shop.

ShaneB
12-06-2014, 11:43 AM
When I watched the driver park my car, I noticed they forgot to add air to the tires!! I would figure, if you`re going to balance and mount rims/tires to a car you`ll check the air pressure before sending the car on its way. Maybe next time try and find a specialty rim shop and talk to the owner/manager about your past experience with the other shop.

If they mounted/balanced the wheels properly... They probably properly inflated the tires before balancing. Tires should always be properly inflated BEFORE balancing. So there`s a chance they were probably already properly inflated.

Not trying to defend the shop cause I`m sure that kinda stuff happens... But inflating the tires first is balancing 101 stuff

Accumulator
12-06-2014, 12:54 PM
The finish on (most) wheels is generally very tough, and once it`s compromised things can go downhill fast.

Like Stokdgs, I`ve had shops replace wheels over minor cosmetic damage- "they were *Perfect* when they came in, you ruined them in my eyes, so you owe me a new set of wheels". Yes, they accepted that and replaced them, though I did have to suggest that, uhm....it was in their best interest.

Atlantarange- Eh, I hate to be the voice of doom-and-gloom buit I bet the finish is compromised and that it`ll never be/stay 100%. But guessing from your username, Winter/salt isn`t a big concern so you might do OK with the following:

Polish out the marring as best you can by hand with the appropriate products (compound followed by polish); clean off polishing oils/etc.; coat with something like GlossCoat. That coating is, IMO, much more likely to hold up OK than a wax/sealant would. This is what I`ve done on slightly compromised wheels and it`s worked out as well as anything short of a refinish (and a lot better than when I tried waxing/sealing).

Gee, hope they did an OK job on the balancing...no damage/etc. They *did* use adhesive weights, mounted on the back side, right?

atlantarange
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes, they used adhesive weights. I tried the cleaner wax method and that did not work.

The Guz
12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Do you have photos? It sounds like more than likely the scratches are pretty deep.

Accumulator
12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
atlantarange- Is the marring truly (well, *readily*) visible or is it the sort of thing that only you will ever see?