PDA

View Full Version : Does Dawn remove Hydro2?

glen e
12-03-2014, 01:26 PM
wanna clean up some wheels that were Hydro2`d about a month ago. plan to dry with a qwik spray of DG AW...

Dawn or Reset?

I have both...

thanks

TroyScherer
12-03-2014, 03:17 PM
I haven`t tried it yet. But I would say no since Hydro2 stands up against APC`s and other cleaners.

But my choice any more is Reset. I moved Dawn back to the kitchen.

JHL88
12-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I haven`t tried it yet. But I would say no since Hydro2 stands up against APC`s and other cleaners.

+1 on Reset. Great shampoo for coatings... or non coatings!

House of Wax
12-03-2014, 05:01 PM

This

WaxAddict
12-03-2014, 07:22 PM
I have to ask, why do you care to remove the Hydr02?

glen e
12-03-2014, 07:25 PM
I do not want to remove it, thats the point.....but want to clean them good....I don`t want to put on more Hydro because I`ve sold the wheels and want to save my Hydro , but want them to look nice so I`ll just do them with a AW

WaxAddict
12-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I`ve been real happy with Hydr02 on my wheels, especially the barrels. I just use my car wash soap, maybe Spray and Wipe, to clean them to like-new.

glen e
12-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Im selling wheels to a friend so ill clean them up for him, but he can buy his own hydro2....LOL

I love the stuff.....

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I don`t think Dawn will remove the HydrO2, but it may kill the beading. We had a big thread on the other forum about surfactants killing beading and making you think the LSP has been removed when it hasn`t.

WillWashesCars
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
No, but dawn can leave residue behind hindering the performance of the sealant. Use Reset if anything, it will rinse clean.

pmnewton
12-03-2014, 09:48 PM
No, but dawn can leave residue behind hindering the performance of the sealant. Use Reset if anything, it will rinse clean.

I`ve never heard of Dawn leaving a residue. I thought it was the industry standard for stripping oils and waxes. You`re saying that Reset is better than Dawn for stripping polishing oils and old waxes?

Thanks,
- Patrick

pwaug
12-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I`ve never heard of Dawn leaving a residue. I thought it was the industry standard for stripping oils and waxes. You`re saying that Reset is better than Dawn for stripping polishing oils and old waxes?

Thanks,
- Patrick

There is a lengthy thread on AG devoted to this exact subject. In a nutshell it`s been shown that a Dawn wash does little to remove waxes and sealants--after a Dawn wash it appears to have removed the LSP because beading is gone. However, if you give the surface a quick wipe with IPA the beading returns--the Dawn leaves surfactants on the LSP that causes it to look as if the LSP is gone and the IPA wipe removes the surfactants.

pmnewton
12-03-2014, 11:31 PM
There is a lengthy thread on AG devoted to this exact subject. In a nutshell it`s been shown that a Dawn wash does little to remove waxes and sealants--after a Dawn wash it appears to have removed the LSP because beading is gone. However, if you give the surface a quick wipe with IPA the beading returns--the Dawn leaves surfactants on the LSP that causes it to look as if the LSP is gone and the IPA wipe removes the surfactants.

Hmmm, I`m mostly concerned with removing polishing oils since I never coat unless I just polished. Dawn seems to work just fine for this.

- Patrick