PDA

View Full Version : Difference between EX and EXP?

Suzanna
04-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Good morning, it`s me again!
I had wanted to ask this earlier in the week, order and use this week-end, but got too busy at work.
Will just wash and use my PwC today.
So to get ready for next week-end:

I know EX has carnauba and EXP is pure sealant.
I`ve searched threads and evidently whether dark or light cars, can make a difference.
I have a metallic white.

But otherwise, more info, please.
When, why, how, pros and cons?

Thanks.
Suzanna

belcherm58
04-22-2006, 10:14 AM
I have only used the EX. It is an easy product to use and the shine is very nice. I put on 2 coats 24hrs apart and then topped with 1 coat of Nattys blue. It makes the paint look deep and the shine is spectacular.
I have read that you should use the regular Nattys on light colors. Maybe someone will chime in on the reason for this. I used both products in direct sun and they did go on easy and came off easy. You are supposed to keep the car dry while the sealants cure so that they cure properly. That is just
supposed to be an optimal scenario for best sealant protection.

Mr. Clean
04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Difference between EX and EXP?
I know EX has carnauba and EXP is pure sealant.
Well you`ve already hit upon the "crux of the bisquit" (thank`s Frank Z). Both are defined (by the man who should know) as sealants, with EX having some carnauba content.

As to which you could/should use on your metallic white paint...well that is a personal choice. I have both products, but will admit that I purchased EX-P specifically to try out on a Silver Reflex VW paint. It was a good choice :) That said, I`ve used EX on some darker metallic paints and it looks good as well. The metallic flake might get muted a bit, but doesn`t get totalled veiled.

When? Whenever and often :D

Why? Because we like to

How? Both products are easy to use, even when applied by hand and over-applied in spots. Lots of folks seem to like to apply these products via the PC which I`m sure yields a more uniform application.

Pros? Nice products, good customer support (from any and all of the vendors here), good availability (available from 4? sources on this forum alone), extensive post sale user support (lots of user experience with both products on this and other forums), etc.

Cons? I`ll have to get back to you on that :surrender

Kangel
04-22-2006, 11:00 AM
I have only used the EX. It is an easy product to use and the shine is very nice. I put on 2 coats 24hrs apart and then topped with 1 coat of Nattys blue. It makes the paint look deep and the shine is spectacular.
I have read that you should use the regular Nattys on light colors. Maybe someone will chime in on the reason for this. I used both products in direct sun and they did go on easy and came off easy. You are supposed to keep the car dry while the sealants cure so that they cure properly. That is just
supposed to be an optimal scenario for best sealant protection.

When you put the coats on when do you wipe them off? Referring to the EX.

belcherm58
04-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I apply to the whole truck and wait for it to haze and wipe it off. Usally the area I started with is ready to start wiping off by the time I finsh applying.

belcherm58
04-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I researched this a bit and found that EX was formulated to give you
sealant protection and carnauba depth in a one shot application. It
is much debated which gives the better shine and depth of color. Ex
is a sealant with a carnauba added to give you both with one application.
Sealants give longer paint protection and carnaubas give deep looking
color and shine. I top EX with carnauba anyway so I guess I could just
as well use the EX-P. If you are not into layering then you may want to
go with the EX. If you are going to top with a carnauba then you can go
with the EX-P. I would imagine that the EX-P might give a little longer
protection as it is just a pure sealant and that it`s properties would not
be compromised by adding a addtional product. I also might be buying
the EX-P to experience the pure sealant as I do layer my finish with
carnauba anyway. I might use the EX on cars that I will not have the
time to top with Nattys. I do several cars in my family and do not have
the time to apply 2 coats of EX-P and wait for them to cure 24hrs between
and then apply a coat of Nattys. I cannot keep their cars for 3 or 4 days
and do not want to. EX would be an excellent product in that scenario.

Suzanna
04-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I don`t have a garage.

Do you wash the car, after the 24 hour wait, before putting on the second coat?

Or does washing take off the first coat?

But dirt/dust/stuff gets on the car in 24 hours.

So you wouldn`t seal over that, would you?

Suzanna

belcherm58
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
I would wash the car if it gets dirty. If it`s just dust then you can use a QD to wipe the dust off. No, It will not wash the sealant or wax off. I would definately wipe down with a QD before applying a second coat. If you have driven in the rain and the car gets dirty, then I might wash it before applying a product to it. The car getting wet before the 24 hrs will not wash the
sealant or wax off. It is just optimal for it to stay dry for 24hrs.

kaos
04-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I`m sure Steve will chime in here when he gets a chance, but here`s what he told me when I had the same decision to make for my new car. EX for darker colors, EX-P for lighter colors. Then top with Natty`s blue for dark, or regular Natty`s for light. That`s what he said would yield the best results. Hopefully he`ll come explain the `why`. :)

harry444
04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
When you put the coats on when do you wipe them off? Referring to the EX.
Steve told me to wait 2 hrs after applying EX to wipe it off and thats what I have been doing

lonewolf0420
04-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Steve told me to wait 2 hrs after applying EX to wipe it off and thats what I have been doing
I hope he chimes in and explains.

belcherm58
04-23-2006, 10:29 AM
The instuctions on the back of the EX bottle say that you should wait 30 to 60 minutes to wipe off. It says that if you are doing in direct sun to do a section at a time and wipe of after it dries to a haze.
The curing time I am refering to is after wiping the product off unitl you apply the next coat. If you read the product descriptions on the Autogeek site it will tell you about the EX giving you the sealant with the carnauba depth in a one shot application. There are several threads that Steve states
that 24hrs is the best cure until 2nd application. I have also seen where Steve states that there are varibles such as temperture,humidity that will affect the cure time but 24hrs was a safe average before another application.

Poorboy
04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
The instuctions on the back of the EX bottle say that you should wait 30 to 60 minutes to wipe off. It says that if you are doing in direct sun to do a section at a time and wipe of after it dries to a haze.
The curing time I am refering to is after wiping the product off unitl you apply the next coat. If you read the product descriptions on the Autogeek site it will tell you about the EX giving you the sealant with the carnauba depth in a one shot application. There are several threads that Steve states
that 24hrs is the best cure until 2nd application. I have also seen where Steve states that there are varibles such as temperture,humidity that will affect the cure time but 24hrs was a safe average before another application.
yes, I have said all that :)

I have seen a very nice increase in gloss when you have the time to wait longer before removal, and Harry said he had the time:)