PDA

View Full Version : Merger Questions/Concerns/Requests??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

David Fermani
11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Couple of things I`d like to bring to the Admin`s attention:

**Sponsored sub-forums are only showing Sticky`d threads. Threads prior to the merge are not viewable.

**Will we be merging some of the redundant sub-forums? For example:
Forum News, Updates & Feedback VS Autopia News & Feedback
Paint Correction and Gloss Enhancement VS Machine Polishing & Sanding
Show Off Your Garage! VS The Man Cave
Car Shows, Trade Shows and Events VS Car Show & Concours
Detailing Business Management & Marketing VS Marketing Strategies
Pro Detailer Specialties, Training, Seminars & News VS Detailing Related - Paintless Dent Repair, Window Tinting, Clear Bras

**Google search results directing to incorrect thread?

**Extend size of Private Messages box

**Review & Update forum rules

**Workflow for members who cannot access forum? Contact info?

**Add the Guy Brushing His Teeth Icon?

Thanks - :autopia:

RaysWay
11-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Check, check and check. We`re aware of all of the things you listed, and even the things you haven`t listed. I can promise everyone our team is consuming toxic amounts of energy drinks to fine tune this merger to as close to perfection as possible.

Anyone with issues with their account, or accessing the forum can email Vega@Autopia.org or call me directly at 1-877-855-3125.

admin
11-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Couple of things I`d like to bring to the Admin`s attention:

**1. Sponsored sub-forums are only showing Sticky`d threads. Threads prior to the merge are not viewable.

**2. Will we be merging some of the redundant sub-forums? For example:
Forum News, Updates & Feedback VS Autopia News & Feedback
Paint Correction and Gloss Enhancement VS Machine Polishing & Sanding
Show Off Your Garage! VS The Man Cave
Car Shows, Trade Shows and Events VS Car Show & Concours
Detailing Business Management & Marketing VS Marketing Strategies
Pro Detailer Specialties, Training, Seminars & News VS Detailing Related - Paintless Dent Repair, Window Tinting, Clear Bras

**3. Google search results directing to incorrect thread?

**4. Extend size of Private Messages box

**5. Review & Update forum rules

**6. Workflow for members who cannot access forum? Contact info?

**7.Add the Guy Brushing His Teeth Icon?

Thanks - :autopia:

For #1 can you take a screen shot so we can see, I can view al of the threads. can you reply with a link to a page.
For #2 as soon as we get some of the minor stuff worked out we are going to start merging the sections.
For #3 this one is going to be hard as moving from the ipb board format for the urls into vbulletin and also the directory the forum was change. But we are working on it.
For #4 I have extended the side of the PMs to 2000 messages for now, going to bring it back down once we clean some of the boxes. PM`s take a lot of space and with a forum this size and so many members it wont be long before we max out the server.
For #5 We will take a look I don`t think there was any major difference between the forums.
for # 6 we will post a thread here shortly with contact info, but anyone can email admin@autopia.org if they have any questions. At this time we have clear any of the email issues we were having with the exception of att servers. We have submitted a couple of tickets to att to unblock our email servers, for some reason they are being blocked. Att includes the following isp
att.net
ameritech.net
bellsouth.net flash.net
nvbell.net pacbell.net
prodigy.net
sbcglobal.net
snet.net
swbell.net
wans.net

for #7 not sure what that one is, send me a link

Lonnie
11-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Can the administrator(s) give us an update where the merger stands in terms more important problems that are still being resolved and what that means to the Autopian membership??
I am FINALLY able to log-in with my old Autopian.org user-name.
Thank you to the administrator(s) for working on and resolving the many problems that have come up with this merger.
Hopefully the "merged" family of Autopians will all get alone and this marriage" will be beneficial to those members from the old Autopia and those existing from this forum.

admin
11-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Can the administrator(s) give us an update where the merger stands in terms more important problems that are still being resolved and what that means to the Autopian membership??
I am FINALLY able to log-in with my old Autopian.org user-name.
Thank you to the administrator(s) for working on and resolving the many problems that have come up with this merger.
Hopefully the "merged" family of Autopians will all get alone and this marriage" will be beneficial to those members from the old Autopia and those existing from this forum.
Still working on some cleaning up, we did find out in ipb boards members had a log in name and display name that create some confusion. We are still cleaning up things behind the scenes.
The next big move it to merge some the sections together, we are currently gathering data to see what sections are the most visited and why before we start moving forums and sections around. we currently have 11 sections and 85 forum/subforums. Most of these can be combined to help the sites navigation.

We are working on a new search that will run on the actual server which will be faster and will index everything on the board without overloading the vbulletin software. We are also working on removing the html coding that was left over from IPB board, this will take sometime as it has crashed the database in our dev site a few times. The final thing is to bring back the product reviews.

Trouble
11-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Fix the Header - Looks like Crap

RaysWay
11-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Fix the Header - Looks like Crap

What do you dislike about the header specifically?

Trouble
11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
The whole thing is a mess. Do away with the palm tree (and as much as it hurts my heart to say it) the 911 too
I don`t like how the toolbar is just thrown up there either. Looks like an 11 year old designed it

RaysWay
11-25-2014, 04:53 PM
The whole thing is a mess. Do away with the palm tree (and as much as it hurts my heart to say it) the 911 too
I don`t like how the toolbar is just thrown up there either. Looks like an 11 year old designed it

We went with a "retro mod" look to keep some of the older styling cues like the Porsche and palm trees, but with a fresh new look. So the Porsche and palm trees are here to stay.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030207190857im_/http://www.autopia.org/images/header/mainheader.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20050209173335im_/http://autopia.org/images/header/autopia-left.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20100207191454im_/http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia_style/header/autopia-left.jpg

Where would you like to see the toolbar? If an 11 year old designed a functional toolbar in php I would be impressed lol.

GearHead_1
11-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I`m probably wrong on this but wonderig if the menu bar in the upper right of this picture is what Trouble is referring to. Kind of just clutters up the banner. There is also redundancy in the three menu bars at the top of the page.

Bunky
11-25-2014, 05:15 PM
I`m probably wrong on this but wonderig if the menu bar in the upper right of this picture is what Trouble is referring to. Kind of just clutters up the banner. There is also redundancy in the three menu bars at the top of the page.

It seems to overlay the banner when the window is smaller than a certain size...just moves as window scales.

admin
11-25-2014, 05:23 PM

what browser are you using? I though we removed all of the duplicate nav menus. Ill work the logo here in a few.

GearHead_1
11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Admin, this picture is a few days old and the lowest black menu bar has been removed. This is on an iPad using Safari version 8.1.1. The one in the upper right corner is the one I`m specifically talking about and I wonder if that is also what Trouble is seeing. It is still there. The three upper menu bars in this picture (not the lower black one) have multiple redundancies (i.e. the New Posts link virtuallly sits on top of the one below it, the Notifications and the Private Messages links are more or less the same etc.).

I`m not complaining as I`ve been able to navigate this layout since first release. Just don`t think it`s as clean as it could be.

GearHead_1
11-25-2014, 05:37 PM
It seems to overlay the banner when the window is smaller than a certain size...just moves as window scales.

Understood and thank you Al, I`ve seen this on my laptop but more or less use the iPad almost exlusively so this is pretty much what I see everyday. I think that menu in the upper right needs to be anchored as opposed to floating and I also wonder if it couldn`t be made to be transparent instead of black. Just doesn`t fit well in the banner as is.

ca.detailchick
11-25-2014, 07:08 PM

I love the palm tree and Porsche Trouble .