PDA

View Full Version : Brakes?

BLK05GT
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I have rims that are pretty much open, so the brakes are very visible. I live near the ocean, so there is a little bit of rust on the rotors, and I get a little squeak here and there, assuming from brake dust. What is the best way to clean up the rotors from rust, and of course my chrome wheels of dust? wow, I`m a poet! :)

Beemerboy
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I have rims that are pretty much open, so the brakes are very visible. I live near the ocean, so there is a little bit of rust on the rotors, and I get a little squeak here and there, assuming from brake dust. What is the best way to clean up the rotors from rust, and of course my chrome wheels of dust? wow, I`m a poet! :)

To clean them there are some over the counter cleaners....like Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle One...or you can buy some from one of the sponsors....I like Poorboys, Spray and Rinse personally....As for what to use as brushes....one that I like allot for getting into the back of the rims is a flat toilet brush reaches in the back with no problem...I would suggest that you polish the rims after then use a sealant...this will help with the future cleaning and cut back on the amount of brake dust build up

chml17l
04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Steel rotors are going to rust no matter what. Replacing the OEM rotors is something to consider if the appearance really bugs you. Some after market rotors are coated (ex. cadmium, zinc) to prolong their appearance and are supposed to be more rust resistant.

Maxima Lover
04-21-2006, 01:07 PM
As chml17l said, they will rust within a day of you cleaning the rust off. You can`t stop it. You can clean the rust off and get a high temp paint and paint the part that always looks rusted. That is the only way to really keep them from rusting. Just don`t paint where the pads touch the rotors!