PDA

View Full Version : New car delivery questions

uberyk
10-14-2014, 10:12 AM
I`ll hopefully be taking delivery of a 2015 Audi Q5 in th next few days (set to arrive at port in the next day or so).

This is a factory order and is actually my first real brand new car.

I`ve told the dealer not to touch it upon delivery other than making it drive able which should just be removal of the chocks they keep on the suspension.

This means no wash, no detail and even having them leave the protective wraps on.

If I remember correctly audi uses opaque wraps so I wonder how I can do a proper visual inspection before taking delivery.

Once we`re past that point, anything I need to keep in mind when removing said wraps? Is there a proven process anywhere? I own an 01 a4 and know how ridiculously hard the clear is so I really want to try to minimize the need for polishing as much as possible from the get go.

After that I`m planning on a good rinse/wash, iron-x, rinse some more, wash, clay (nano skin on DA) and seal.

Any comments tips appreciated.

tom p.
10-14-2014, 10:33 AM
`no detail and even having them leave the protective wraps on.

If I remember correctly audi uses opaque wraps so I wonder how I can do a proper visual inspection before taking delivery.

Once we`re past that point, anything I need to keep in mind when removing said wraps? Is there a proven process anywhere? I own an 01 a4 and know how ridiculously hard the clear is so I really want to try to minimize the need for polishing as much as possible from the get go.

After that I`m planning on a good rinse/wash, iron-x, rinse some more, wash, clay (nano skin on DA) and seal.

Any comments tips appreciated.

`

The cars are shipped in re-usable baggies...they`re sort of like condoms made from Tyvek.

`

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/billsouth/AW%20website/first15_zps4aeb2ec4.jpg

`

For the most part, these do a very nice job protecting the new finish.` Don`t create a potential liability for yourself by not permitting them to perform the delivery check list including an inspection of the body.` I know we`re overly-protective, but try to keep it real.

`

Skip the "sealant".` Get a quik eduction on coatings.

uberyk
10-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I`m guessing you recommend I at least allow them to remove the wraps? Still declining any wash or detail of course.

I`ve been reading on some of the coating options I.e opticoat and they`re defintely intriguing. Not sure how long those take to apply and cure and I don`t want to try it out for the first time on a new car. That`s why I`m sticking to old school steps for now. I`ll probably try my hand out at coating on the a4 first before trying it on the q5.

tom p.
10-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I don`t think they`re going to permit you to leave the premises with the vehicle wrapper ;)

`

I coated my wife`s `15 Q5 with Cquartz a couple days after she took delivery.` Not only does it look outstanding, it always appears to be clean even after being in the rain.` Audi is fitting dustless pads to some of their vehicles so even the wheels stay clean!

uberyk
10-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Right. I mean that overall Baggie would have to removed. I was more concerned with the smaller pieces that are applied directly on the body as can be seen on the top of the door and pillars. Did you need much polishing or correction on your wife`s car out of the factory?

tom p.
10-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Did you need much polishing or correction on your wife`s car out of the factory?

`

Very little.` I`ve taken delivery of two new vehicles from them and there`s really been only minimal stuff to deal with.` I did find a defect in the paint on my car, but it`s not something I`d ever permit them to "repair".