PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on "winterizing" wheels and tires

Pages : [1] 2

Bucky
10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I have a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels for one vehicle that have seen four winters already, and I am planning on purchasing a new dedicated set of winter tires/wheels soon for our second vehicle.

`

My question is: what is the best simple and cost effective way to fully protect my brand new wheels from the harsh Michigan winters, and what is the best way to clean and prep my existing wheels for their fifth winter? FWIW, I think when I purchased my original winter wheels four years ago, I coated them with P21S wax, but that did not seem to work very well.

`

I have been searching the forums, and it seems like spending the $60 on Opti-Coat is the way to go. Agreed? Anything else to consider? If I go the Opti-Coat route, what is the best way to clean the wheels throughout the winter without compromising the sealant in any way, and then what`s the best product to use when they are clean to "renew" the slickness? A QD? How might Opti-Seal fit in to the process?

`

Currently, the only two products I have are Eagle A2Z wheel/tire cleaner and a bottle of 303 that I plan to use for the tires. Is A2Z a good product to use with Opti-Coat or other sealants? Anything better for about the same price? Will the 303 work relatively well to use for my tires for the winter?`

`

I am not particularly interested in the exact appearance of the tires or wheels; my goal is rather to find the best way to protect and keep them clean them throughout the winter with the fewest products and least amount of maintenance.

`

Any suggestions would be appreciated.`

tom p.
10-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Let`s see, P21S on wheels is probably the last product I would reach for.` It won`t have any durability in such a harsh setting.

`

It`s been my experience that even the best waxes/sealants don`t last long if you are using a wheel cleaner on a regular basis.` I think a heavy coat of something like Opticoat might be the only thing with a fighting chance in such a harsh environment.

`

I use a wheel cleaner every week so all these efforts to "wax" the wheels is kind of a waste for me..` I guess I`m addicted to the wheel cleaners.` Do you think you might get away using your basic car wash mixture would have enough horsepower during the winter??

Bucky
10-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I used P21S many years ago because it was all I had and it was better than nothing. I fully realize that it`s a poor choice overall and would not use it again.

I am fine rinsing the wheels off with just water in my garage if that is all I need to keep them clean.

tom p.
10-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I am fine rinsing the wheels off with just water in my garage if that is all I need to keep them clean.

`

If that yields a satisfactory result, no reason you can`t use a super-durable sealant...` FK`s 1000p instantly pops into my mind ;)

Bucky
10-11-2014, 02:44 PM
If that yields a satisfactory result, no reason you can`t use a super-durable sealant... FK`s 1000p instantly pops into my mind ;)

Is that a better choice than Opti-Coat, or just cheaper and/or easier to apply?

Is 303 sufficient for the tires?

tom p.
10-11-2014, 03:35 PM
No, the Opti-Coat would be the best solution if cost is no object.

`

I don`t use tire dressings during the winter months.` It seems to attract tons of salt dust when doing so :(

Bucky
10-11-2014, 05:01 PM
If water and agitation does not adequately clean the wheels after I seal them, I`ve heard the Griot`s wheel cleaner is pretty mild. Would that be a good option?

`

Any other "mild" wheel cleaners to consider, especially ones that might be available locally?

tom p.
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM
You`re right about the Griot`s...probably as mild as they come while retaining admirable cleaning qualities ;)

TroyScherer
10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
If you have new wheels and tires I have been using OC ( which is now Gloss Coat for consumers) and TuffShine tire coating. It takes more time and prep but the results are worth it.

Bucky
10-11-2014, 07:00 PM
If you have new wheels and tires I have been using OC ( which is now Gloss Coat for consumers) and TuffShine tire coating. It takes more time and prep but the results are worth it.

Thanks for the TuffShine recommendation, I might give that a try as well. I was not aware of that product.`

`

What do you use then to clean your wheels sealed with Opti-Caot when dirty besides soap?

`

How would Opti-Seal fit in with Opti-Coat? Is Opti-Seal like a QD to use with Opti-Coat, or would you use Opti-Seal instead of Opti-Coat?

`

Also, if I can`t get my existing set of wheels clean enough to use Opti-Coat on, can anyone make any recommendations for a cleaner/sealant that`s long lasting on wheels like maybe Griot`s One-Step Sealant, or should I just get them as clean as possible and use Opti-Coat as long as I am purchasing it for the new set of wheels?

TroyScherer
10-12-2014, 11:29 AM
With OC in my wheels I really only need regular wash soap. But I have used wheel cleaner, APC with no issue.

Using opti-seal will add some extra sickness but with OC you don`t really need it. The reports are the new Opti-Gloss is slicker already. opti-seal will still act like a sealant but it won`t last as long due to nothing last as long on it. If you want a QD there are many options out there and you can use what ever you like.

You can clean up you wheels as good as possible and then apply OC or a sealant. The difference is the extra steps in making sure the surface is fully clean and free of oils for OC.

Accumulator
10-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Some sorta-random thoughts:

`

-Many winter tires stay OK looking without dressings, just a different type of rubber I guess.`

-GG Wheel Cleaner is mild enough, but it does strip LSPs (even FK1000P and layered KSG) so I`d just use sorta-strong shampoo mix

-With either FK1000P or OptiCoat, the shampoo keeps things clean (zero need for a Wheel Cleaner)`and for winter I seldom even bother with a QD afterwards

-I`ve gotten used wheels clean enough for OptiCoat, no big deal and IMO you can just think of it as a "super LSP" in that regard

-The only sealants that`ve held up for me are KSG X 6 and FK1000P

`

Other that the above, what`tom p.`and TroyScherer said.`

Bucky
10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
-The only sealants that`ve held up for me are KSG X 6 and FK1000P

Is that besides Opti-Coat? Is Opti-Coat still the best way to go ahead of those two alternatives?

tom p.
10-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Bucky, I think it`s fair to say OptiCoat is going to be superior in terms of longevity compared to a sealant.` So, if cost is no object, I`d fly with that.

Dan
10-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Bucky, I think it`s fair to say <strong class=`bbc`>OptiCoat[/b] is going to be superior in terms of longevity compared to a sealant. So, if cost is no object, I`d fly with that.

I think it`s worth mentioning that Opticoat for consumers is no longer sold. A new product called gloss coat may be a similar replacement but it is too early to tell.