PDA

View Full Version : ONR w/ distilled water overkill?

efnfast
09-30-2014, 09:00 PM
I mix my ONR from a tap that goes through my water softener, so the water is softened (plus ONR naturally softens the water). However, the TDS in the water is roughly 650ppm.

`

Most times I wash i don`t have spotting, but that`s because i`m really moving quickly while drying. However, sometimes I do and sometimes if I get sloppy enough it can etch into the paint and need a light polish.

`

i think in this case switching to mixing the ONR with jugs of distilled water would be a good idea, because even though the water is softened, the TDS is quite high and probably what causes my periodic issues, right?

`

As a followup question, would it be best to mix with distilled water, deionized water, reverse osmosis`d water, or any of them fine?

tonipieleanu
10-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Any of them will work, but the cost per wash will increase dramatically.

Even tough my water has medium hardness (300ppm) I mix it with water from my indoor dehumidifier with great results. The solution is slicker. Maybe something to think about if you have this option.

Otherwise get a filter, it should be cheaper in the long run, rather than buying jugs of DI water.

Accumulator
10-01-2014, 01:12 PM
I had been mixing up my ONR-like products with DI water, but recently I`ve been using distilled (if only because I haven`t recharged the CRS lately).` I seemed to get just a tiny bit of a film when I used my regular, softened-and-filtered water, and using DI or distilled has eliminated that.` Absolutely zero spotting with the distilled water, as long as I get all the "regular" water out of the nooks and crannies before I get to that step.

SweatTheDetails
10-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I personally think DI is a must. Much easier to dry to a spot free finish.

www.JaxDetails.com
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.