PDA

View Full Version : New addition to family Need some info/help

97F1504x4
04-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Ok I purchased my wife a new car last month for our 19th wedding anniversary and She showed up yesterday. I brought her home with all the plastic and dirty of course as I did not want the detail guy at the dealership touching her. So I get all the plastic off and I have some hologramming and some paint over spray from the Manufacture. Seem they buffed it out and left me some holograms. I can tell they did it because there was polish residue all over the place and in between the fender and hood.

So anyway onto my question I have never had to deal with holograms what is my best bet at getting them out. I am going to have to clay the entire car first as the paint it horribly rough.
Well here she is after her first bath. 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Redfire Metallic
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/97f1504rad/IMG_0821.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/97f1504rad/IMG_0823.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/97f1504rad/IMG_0824.jpg

Richard

joyriide1113
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Holograms are a lot easier to remove than hand inflicted swirls.

Big Leegr
04-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Have you made the dealership aware? Are they willing to be helpful/campensatory? I`d let them know that your request was not followed.
But as to the remedy, I`ll let someone more experienced answer. I seem to take too long at these things. :D

97F1504x4
04-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Have you made the dealership aware? Are they willing to be helpful/campensatory? I`d let them know that your request was not followed.
But as to the remedy, I`ll let someone more experienced answer. I seem to take too long at these things. :D

They did follow my instructions. This was done at the factory. The car was delivered to me with all the plastic still on it and it was dirty since i instructed them not to wash it. They left all plastic on the entire car. No i have not yet informed the dealership as it was late last night i picked it up and did not notice them until i pulled it into the garage under the fluorescent lighting.

Richard

97F1504x4
04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
BTT

Someone here has to have some info for me.

Would the SSR1 and a polishing pad be the right tools and product to attack the holograms with?

Richard

kaos
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes, that`s good to start with. I had some hologramming on my rear spoiler, either the factory buffed it after they painted it, or the dealership buffed it after they installed it. SSR1 and an Edge2k polishing pad took them almost all the way out with one pass. It needs one more pass, but I didn`t notice that until after I had sealant on, so it`ll just wait till next detail. :)

Make one pass with SSR1 and polishing pad. Check your work, making sure to remove all polishing residue with QD or an alcohol/water mix. If it`s just barely still visible, do a second pass. If it`s still quite visible, step up to SSR2. I wouldn`t think that you`d need to go to 2.5. Like joyriide said, holograms come out much easier than hand-induced swirls. On my (used) truck, I had some bad, baaad hologramming on the panel behind the driver`s door. That took 2 passes with DACP and a yellow Edge medium cutting pad on the PC. But it came out. :) I can`t imagine yours would be anywhere near that bad.

Also keep in mind the age of the paint. If that car just rolled off the assembly line and was delivered to the dealer, and then to you, that paint might not even be 30 days old. Again pointing to using the mildest product that will do the job.

Beautiful car. Can`t wait to see the photoshoot when you get her fully detailed!

97F1504x4
04-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Yes, that`s good to start with. I had some hologramming on my rear spoiler, either the factory buffed it after they painted it, or the dealership buffed it after they installed it. SSR1 and an Edge2k polishing pad took them almost all the way out with one pass. It needs one more pass, but I didn`t notice that until after I had sealant on, so it`ll just wait till next detail. :)

Make one pass with SSR1 and polishing pad. Check your work, making sure to remove all polishing residue with QD or an alcohol/water mix. If it`s just barely still visible, do a second pass. If it`s still quite visible, step up to SSR2. I wouldn`t think that you`d need to go to 2.5. Like joyriide said, holograms come out much easier than hand-induced swirls. On my (used) truck, I had some bad, baaad hologramming on the panel behind the driver`s door. That took 2 passes with DACP and a yellow Edge medium cutting pad on the PC. But it came out. :) I can`t imagine yours would be anywhere near that bad.

Also keep in mind the age of the paint. If that car just rolled off the assembly line and was delivered to the dealer, and then to you, that paint might not even be 30 days old. Again pointing to using the mildest product that will do the job.

Beautiful car. Can`t wait to see the photoshoot when you get her fully detailed!

Well the paint is not even 30 days old I ordered the car on March 16 and picked it up yesterday and it shipped out of Flatrock, MI on April 3 to me. So i got done claying the entire car tonight and that removed some fo the holograms so they were not to bad but they are still there very faintly.
Thanks for th advice, I kind of figured that is what i needed to do but seeings how i have never dealt with these i wasnt sure.

Richard

cwcad
04-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Kaos is correct. Holograms are relatively easy to take off. I started with a paint cleaner called Swirl from Detailers Paradise. I would think that any paint cleaner would be a good place to start. ProPolish, KAIO and Swirl are the only products that I have in that catagory. SSR1 is a good choice as well, if a paint cleaner is not available. Least abrassive product first. You can always step up the process with pad and product to finally solve the problem.

holland_patrick
04-20-2006, 07:04 AM
if you think that was bad you should have seen what they did to the Merc Muraders(bad spelling) there are web sites on how bad the scewwed up thier paint..

pogo123
04-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Aw man Richard, I am so jealous! That is one nice car, and the color is awesome. I have a red 98 Mustang but that red car of yours (hers) just makes me drool. Looks great and I bet you`ll love detailing it.

97F1504x4
04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks pogo I installed the Borla Muffler Tonight and O my god does it sound AWESOME!!!

Richard

pogo123
04-21-2006, 05:16 AM
IMO it`s hard to beat the sound of an American made V8 motor. I have Magna Flow exhaust on mine, and I love the low rumble at idle and the bark when I get on it a little. I`m sure your wife will love it, but I hope she lets you drive it once in a while.:D

audiboy
04-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Like others said, SSR1 should take care of it. Congrats on the new car! I`ve heard a Borla system on the Ford 4.6L and it does sound pretty nice.

97F1504x4
04-21-2006, 08:33 AM
IMO it`s hard to beat the sound of an American made V8 motor. I have Magna Flow exhaust on mine, and I love the low rumble at idle and the bark when I get on it a little. I`m sure your wife will love it, but I hope she lets you drive it once in a while.:D

Thankfully she does let me drive especially when we go somewhere together see I have a really bad habit of telling her how to drive. Not sure why and I honestly do try not to but for some reason i still do. So when we go out together she makes me drive. Of course I like being in control so maybe that is the reason I back seat drive. Besides I am the one doing all the work on the car I think that should allow me a little seat time in the pilot seat.

As for the paint I think i will try the Meg`s Medallion Premium Paint cleaner fisrt before i try anything abrasive in nature.

Richard

Anthony A
04-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I would just try the least abrasive method first and work up from there if you don`t get the results you want. SSR1 or something similar like FP II and a polishing or finishing pad is a good place to start.