PDA

View Full Version : Masking tape residue on rubber

LeMarque
08-29-2014, 11:11 AM
It seems no matter if I`m using 3m blue or 3m Scotch green masking tape on certain types of rubber mostly textured the tape leaves residue a tape line that`s impossible to remove. Does anyone know how to avoid this or short of having to redye?http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/29/f99e286afb8c4183d76a1c6b47a1afec.jpg

96GreenPSD
08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I`ve used 3M specialty adhesive remover to remove remnants of tape adhesive left behind on smooth rubber moldings. It could be worth a shot, though I`m not sure how it would effect softer textured moldings. You could also try lightly scrubbing the molding with APC.

Accumulator
08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
LeMarque- I`ve never had 3M Adhesive Remover damage rubber or plastic, though it might clean/restore/affect it to some extent that`ll prompt you to do further cleaning/restoring/etc.

`

IMO 3M Adhesive Remover (hard to find the pre-VOC stuff in the metal can, but that`s my preference) oughta be on every detailer`s shelf.

`

Beyond that, my thoughts turn to Griot`s Rubber Prep...

`

Might want to try the YELLOW tape and see if that works better for you.

Junebug
08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
I`ve had good luck with alcohol (no joke right!) some Sticker Off stuff I bought at Autozone and the old stand-by, Goo Gone.

LeMarque
09-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys, but I`ve tried those solutions to no avail. Think I may have left the tape on for to long and something in the adhesive discolored the rubber. I`ve seen the same thing before when I have a job where the customer`s leaving the car with me for a week or so and I remove the tape a week later :(

Accumulator
09-01-2014, 11:34 AM
LeMarque- Well, don`t leave the tape on so long and you`ll save yourself a lot of grief.

`

Did you ever try the Griot`s Rubber Prep on it?` I know it`s a weird suggestion if somebody doesn`t already have it on the shelf....

LeMarque
09-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Love Griots. But it didn`t help much. Yeah I`ve learned my lesson about leaving the tape on for so long. It`s just that sometimes it could be many days before I get back on a project.

Accumulator
09-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Huh, surprised the Rubber Prep didn`t take care of it.

`

Guess it`d be a huge hassle to remove/retape, huh?