PDA

View Full Version : Self-cleaning coatings

adeptauto
08-21-2014, 01:30 PM
We are doing some renovations to our shop, and while the construction is going on we arent scheduling vehicles, which gives me time to catch up on changes in our industry.

`

This morning I found a "new" product from a US-based company called Pureti. This is the headline at entrepreneur.com that caught my attention:

This High-Tech Spray Eats Smog, Turns Surfaces Into Self-Cleaning Germ-Killers

Some of the finer points of the article:

`
<ul> The wonders of technology have spurred the creation of cars, windows, walls, even entire buildings that clean themselves. Some can purify the air around them, guzzling smog and other nasty pollutants like it’s nothing while they simultaneously nuke grunge, grime, mold and microbes. No soap or scrubbing required.
[/list]

`
<ul> Here’s where Mother Nature’s magic comes in. When UV light (from the sun or fluorescent light bulbs) hits a PURETi-shellacked surface, it triggers a natural process called ultraviolet photocatalysis. The opposite of photosynthesis, photocatalysis uses light energy to energize the titanium dioxide within PURETi. The compound then interacts with water molecules in the air, spawning free radicals that gobble up harmful, contaminating materials and air pollutants.
[/list]

Their website (pureti.com) lists multiple products meant for interior and exterior applications, and if it does what it says, I think this could be another excellent add-on service, especially the odor fighting/self-cleaning interior window treatment.

`

Does anyone know anything about this or has anyone tried it or something like it?

mg031
08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Hmm..... Sounds like CarPro`s product - `SoPure`

adeptauto
08-22-2014, 01:49 PM
I emailed them about it specific applications, and this was their response, could be promising:

`
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">Thank you for your inquiry and interest in PURETi products.`
<p style="margin:0in 23.25pt 0pt 0in;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">`
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">In the automotive segment, our products are primarily targeted for use on auto interior glass.` <span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">Clean & Fresh is the product our customers typically use for this application.` It is a DIY, streak-free window cleaner that turns windows into self-cleaning air purifiers.` Because it is a terrific window cleaner in addition to providing the other benefits, it does not require any incremental labor (you are already cleaning the windows).` The primary benefits are:
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;">`
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">1.``The glass stays clean (oily film buildup is prohibited)
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">2.` The glass is easy to maintain (fingerprints and smudges are easily removed with a simple wipe with a microfiber cloth)
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, `sans-serif`;font-size:9.5pt;">3.` Improved cabin air quality (significantly reduces VOCs and other harmful airborne pollutants), and`reduced fogging.`
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;">`
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;">​We are also trialing professional application of PURETi on vehicle exteriors, primarily focused on box trucks.` The professional product line requires specialty spray equipment.