PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Tree Sap

xtahoex
08-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Hey Guys,

`

`

```` Been a while since I have been here,` but I`ve got a problem.` My new house has a tree that hangs over the drive way and is infested with Aphids.` This means my car is covered in tree sap and the aphids sticky excrement.`` I last washed my car two weeks ago and when I went to wash it again today the sticky sap is extremely difficult to remove.` I have tried, IPA, dish soap, gold class soap, and ONR to little avail.` The dish soap worked applied directly to the surface but I can`t do that to the entire vehicle.` I could spend a lot of time polishing the car or using a cleaner wax but I would rather find a chemical product to remove it so that it is removed from all surfaces not just paint.` What suggestions do you have?

`

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/20140815_160658.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/sonalamp/media/20140815_160658.jpg.html)

`

Thanks!

Junebug
08-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I did a car a couple years ago that the owner parked under a tree - for three friggin years! So, my advice, make sure the paint is cool, and not in direct sun, spray Goo Gone on it. Then use a soft brush to work it in, rinse and then do a regular wash.

Oh, and get a buddy with a chainsaw to take care of the tree.

Tips : don`t let the Goo Gone dry, don`t go crazy with the brush - just light strokes to loosen the crud.

Somebody call 911, accumulator has fainted..

Lonnie
08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Have you tried gasoline or paint thinner? Cost-effective (read cheap) solvents, but not exactly environmentally correct (or legal` depending on your local ordnances or laws) but they are effective on some tree saps.

`

Do you HAVE to park the car under that tree? I am with JuneBug on the tree:`cut it down.

Quiksilver5882
08-18-2014, 11:29 PM
I highly recommend Stoners Tarminator or even IPA prior to pouring paint thinner or gasoline on your car!!

Lonnie
08-19-2014, 08:48 AM
You are correct Quicksilver 5882: pouring gas or paint thinner onto a car is a recipe for disaster, as the OP (original poster) has stated he has done with other cleaners/solvents. Pouring it on allows these solvents to`run into rubber seals and vinyl trim with disastrous results. The same can happen with Stoner`s Tarminator if it`s not "judiciously" applied: front chrome-plated plastic grills are notorious for melting using Tarminator if allowed to dwell too long. Just be aware of that.

`

A more correct application method would be to soak a microfiber towel with a solvent and allow it to dwell on the offending sap/aphid doo-doo BEFORE attempting to remove it by wiping/washing it off.

Junebug
08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Don`t knock Goo Gone! It works, I NEVER give advice on anything that I haven`t personally tested and found to work. Now, it will thicken up and turn grayish, that`s a good sign, if you have a power washer (or coin wash - late at night) now is the time to rinse - and rinse some more. You should be ok with a good old regular wash to remove traces of the Goo Gone. Oh - buy the big bottle and don`t be shy spaying!