PDA

View Full Version : Fresh paint , new car

Fallz
08-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I want to detail and prep the car myself but was told by a body shop guy not to do anything to it as the paint is only 3-4 weeks old. The body shop guy said NO silicones also .`

My new silver car is coming and the paint will only be 3 weeks old or so when I get the car. Its GM paint(Camaro).`

`

Can I wash it , clay it , buff a polish on to it`

`

I was planning to use OPT products on the car (but not OC at this point). `I was going to use the following:

ONR`

A clay of some sort`

OID , OS AND OCW

`

Im kinda lost on this one guy`s , help me out. I don`t want to screw this up.

`

Thanks`

Mike

Ron Ketcham
08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Let me get this right. You have bought a new car, not one that has recently been repainted?

If it`s a new car, your buddy is wrong. He`s a bodyshop guy and the materials they use is not the same chemistry as what the automotive assembly plants use.`

If it is a new car, you can clean, polish, wax, seal, etc as soon as you get it.

Look in the door jam for the "build date", it will tell you the month and the year to begin with. Some even have the day on the sticker.

Makes no real difference for as I stated, OEM`s use a different chemistry paint for the cars they assemble and it`s not off gassing, it `s ok to do what you need.

Which, means that you may not need to clay it. Wash it, feel the paint with a cellophane cigarette wrapper, placing two or three fingers in side the wrapper. If it feels "rough", it may need claying, which is sort of all right. Don`t just feel one place, check the sides to get a feel for what is smooth and what is rough, then move to the top surfaces. If they feel "rougher" then there may be some contaminates on the surface.`

Fallz
08-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks Ron , It is a new car I bought but was asking a body shop guy there the question about doing the prep work on the car myself when I take delivery. I should take delivery on 8-14-14. The order for the car was placed about the 19th of July, so the paint is not very old at all. 3-4 weeks.`

`

What about the silicone thing in waxes and sealant`s and qd`s ? Is the a lot in there or is he blowing smoke ? Should I be concerned with the "silicone" ? `I never worried about none of this with my Corvette ( silver also ) `but that I bought used so I didn`t worry about fresh paint or silicone.

Accumulator
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Fallguy- Unless the new car has been subjected to "post-production paintwork" (in which case I wouldn`t want it..) the paint on it is already cured.` Factory paint is baked at high temps and is utterly different from the type of paint used by body/paint shops.`

`

I`d tell the dealership to *NOT* do the cosmetic prep (and I`d get that written into the contract and I`d refuse the car if they mar it up, but that`s just me).` Prep it yourself and just use whatever LSP you normally would.