PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaner Damaged to Car?

5jjt
08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Sorry Guys, I don`t have pics of damage.

I am just wondering, since I just got a new steamer, aside from being idiotic with it, are there any precautions to take with using a steamer., i.e. (don`t use on this material, or that material, (never do this, never do that) etc. `I ask because I damaged a fabric chair and a vinyl chair in my house. `The vinyl became very matte looking; more matte looking than had I just applied an APC to it. `And, the fabric on the chair started to separate, badly.

`

Anyone else have any steamer horror stories?

Accumulator
08-04-2014, 02:51 PM
I damaged the carpet in the Mazda MPV I used to have, not exactly "melted", but something along those lines.` And I overheated a plastic hood-prop rod retaining clip once.` So I`d take it easy on plastics and other synthetic materials.

5jjt
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Was the MPV a customer`s, or yours?

Concourswanna b
08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
I would probably take it easy on plastic fenderwell liners; I put an oval-shaped mark in a 2010 Accord front liner, from trying to steam one section for too long. I thought my steam cleaner was going to be the "be-all-end-all" for that job, but nope.

Accumulator
08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
5jjt- Mine, I`m not a Pro, seldom`do vehicles for others.

Paul Sparks
08-06-2014, 10:28 AM
A lot of common sense goes a long way when steaming. Many stains are stubborn and repeated` attempts may be needed but putting the wand on a stain and just holding it there is a recipe for trouble.

5jjt
08-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Very true, Paul. Just holding the wand there would be rather risky. However I ruined a vinyl chair`s finish just with a few light passes. Hopefully I won`t do this to any car in the future. The more I use the steamer for cars, the more I consider using apc for the same results.

StreetShotz
08-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Like others have said, be careful around plastics. You can overheat them if you are to strong on them with the steam.`

Something I was recommended to do was practice on some scrap panels from a wrecker. I sure learnt a lot about it.`

Also, depending on the steamer, you can change the heat to give a cooler steam or keep the seam further away from the surface.`

I can see damaging vinals or plastics, but the fabrics I have never had an issue with. Perhaps it was damaged before hand and the use of the steamer only brought that to the surface? I have seen high temps release adhesives before and lift fabric up. Perhaps it was glued together and the temps softened the glue?

Tonya
08-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Hi, I`m new to the forum. I`m somewhat of an expert with the steamers. I own 2 steam car washes and 2 mobile steam vans, What kind of steamer are you using?

The closer you hold the steam the hotter it is, if you have a brush attachment wrap a towel around it once or twice. With a steamer that has pressure hit the surface at a 45 degree angle (if your right handed) never dead on. On fabric wrap with a towel and keep it moving, you only want to heat it up a small area at a time. This opens the fibers and loosen the dirt, then use a couple sprays of cleaner, scrub with a brush, wipe with a clean rag then lightly steam to restore texture. This is the same for swede and carpet.

Accumulator
08-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Tonya- Welcome to Autopia!

`

I`ve heard of steam carwashes, but never actually saw one...what part of the country are yours in?

5jjt
08-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Tonya, the steamer is a mcculluch 1375. Thanks for your advice.

Fireguy mike
08-17-2014, 12:28 PM
True steamers do have their place and do wonderfully with the right application. `They are not a do it all tool as much as some think....you got to really know your materials and physics of steam to know how they react together. `I took mine out to a junk yard when I got it to see how long you can heat various materials until they start to become damaged. MUCH safer way to learn........cheaper too` :D