PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed with Riccardo clay

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug
07-31-2014, 08:44 AM
I bought this stuff based on all the hype, ya`ll just slap me next time ok. It`s no better than any other clay I`ve used and after last night, it`s on probation with me. I was washing a C230, white, with a lot of crud in the paint. The Riccardo stuff was like rubbing play-doah on it. I worked my butt off and it still didn`t feel right. The clay never seemed to be picking up anything - cause duh - it wasn`t, thank God for that iron hard MB paint, if it was Honda`s, I`d have to buff it out. But, I got an old piece of Clay Magic blue, went back over the whole car and by gum it was pulling crap out like crazy. i stopped and showed it to my daughter (future detailer) and she was blown away by it. I`ve never had any clay that looked brand new, just refuse to work. I don`t know if I got a crappy batch or what. I don`t feel right about giving it away since I like to keep my friends. So I think I`ll give it 1 more chance before it goes to the range - same daughter is crack shot with a .22.

Anybody else experince this?

`

Post thoughts - probably going for one of those clay block deals that are easier to use when I order more.

`

chrisguga
07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Well, I personally love my Speedy Surface prep towel.

`

I`ve gone over a car with the towel and because I couldn`t "feel" the towel picking up crud, I went over it with clay afterward. The clay picked up nothing.

`

The towel didn`t miss anything. I`m personally converted.

`

I also bought some of that Chinese blue clay on Ebay and it worked pretty well. You might give it a shot.

jmsc
08-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I`ve almost given up on most claybars. Too slow for me. I tried Optimum`s Opti-Eraser (heavy and lite) 2 years ago and marveled at how fast (50% faster) I could clay a car. Cost about $20. Less marring. Drop it, no big deal. Just wash it off with water. Never tried the prep towels because I`ve been happy with the Opti`s. Keep the clay and use them for the wheels or on glass where the surfaces are smaller.

House of Wax
08-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I`ve almost given up on most claybars. Too slow for me. I tried Optimum`s Opti-Eraser (heavy and lite) 2 years ago and marveled at how fast (50% faster) I could clay a car. Cost about $20. Less marring. Drop it, no big deal. Just wash it off with water. Never tried the prep towels because I`ve been happy with the Opti`s. Keep the clay and use them for the wheels or on glass where the surfaces are smaller.
This

Junebug
08-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys - yeah I think it`s time to move on from clay. BTW - I do have a Speedy towel thingie and it cuts through overspray like crap through a goose. I got this Saturday off (supposed to storm here) so I might go buy a clay-block thing. The local place has Sam Arnold ones.

imported_01GreyStangGT
08-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I like the OptEraser too. Still use clay occasionally.

Junebug
08-02-2014, 07:45 PM
I looked around and the nanoskin ones were a pretty good deal at ADS, and I have a birthday coming, so wife agreed to get them for me.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
08-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Honestly, I have always been happy using Mothers yellow clay or Megs white clay.

Jesstzn
08-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Was it the yellow or the blue? I use both and they both work as expected . What were you trying to remove?

BobD
08-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I looked around and the nanoskin ones were a pretty good deal at ADS, and I have a birthday coming, so wife agreed to get them for me.

That`s where I just got mine!

Lonnie
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
I guess just as microfibers have replaced cotton towels, clothes, and diapers (yes, they were great for removing wax!) , so have the nanoskins/cloths replaced clay.

That`s just progress. I still have a 200gm bar of blue Clay Magic to open that I bought from Detailed Image along with some Clay Magic kits with their clay lube from Auto Zone.

Just goes to show you in today`s world that when you think you`ve found a good product`and you stock up on it, someone comes along with something better and obsoletes your stash. The same could be said for`my collection of carnauba waxes that are so "old school" now compared to the new generation of available coatings that`are user-friendly for the car-care novice`to applied and are actually less expensive than many high-end waxes. I STILL like/love/prefer Collinite 885 Fleet Wax and its identical twin 476S Doublecoat wax. Inexpensive, easy to apply, looks great, lasts long.`

David Fermani
08-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Hard to beat blue Clay Magic!`

Junebug
08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
I agree David - Clay Magic blue works! Period! and I have a little piece never been used to do my youngest daughter`s new car. I`m still getting the nanoskin products, nothing compares to the speed & ease of use, but when you have "all the time in the world and it`s your car or family" looking dead at you George - then you do what you like, know, works etc!

Jesstzn
08-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Were you using the blue or yellow Recardo? I have both and had good luck with both.

Junebug
08-06-2014, 09:06 AM
It was the yellow, and it just didn`t work. The clay wasn`t picking up sh!t and I switched to Clay Magic blue and it turned blue to brown with contaminates coming out like crazy. Next time I get a vehicle with a heavy need for claying, I`ll an experiment - Ric first, then CM, if I get a repeat of what I saw last week, then my baby girl will have a new target for her .22, she could use the practice anyway.