PDA

View Full Version : Jeweling before paint coating

showshine59
07-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi
Before I apply the coating I want the paint as perfect as possible. I plan on using M205 on white LC pad for minor defect removal. I also want to jewel the paint.
I have Meguiars M3 on hand and considering using it as a jeweling polish. M3 has less cut than M205.
Is this advisable?

I will do a IPA wipe before applying the coating, so polishing oils are not my main reason to use M3.

Accumulator
07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Extreme_Radiance- The M03 is the wrong stuff for this (my experience with M03 Machine Glaze goes back to the mid-`70s and I`ve discussed it in detail with Mike P. a few times).` It`s functionally nonabrasive on almost all paints, really just a mix of their Trade Secret Oils and the clays/etc. that`re also in M07, forumulated a bit differently from M07 to work better via machine.`

`

I`ve used M03 on vehicles via machine with absolutely *zero* improvement once I stripped the oils off, and if anything I was inclined to imagine an improvement that wasn`t there as I really wanted to feel my time was well-spent...but nope, it did *nothing*.

`

To improve upon M205 (which I heartily encourage!) I`ve used HD Polish (favorite choice) and the Menzerna 106 variant that`s sold under the BlackFire label (forget which PO number it is, but I don`t think it`s PO106FF as it didn`t fill as badly), and even 1Z High Gloss.` Once stripped of its TSO the M205 finish isn`t all *that* great IME so all of these have ramped it up for me.` Something like Menzerna PO85RD would work well too, but I`d rather skip the whole "oils" issue by using something like the HD.

`

Eh, IMO HD Polish is becoming the no-brainer choice for a final polish/penultimate step product (heh heh, I oughta coin the term "PSP" for this...).

showshine59
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Accumulator
Thank you for saving from a total waste of time.
Where does one find the HD products?

pwaug
07-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Accumulator

Thank you for saving from a total waste of time.

Where does one find the HD products?

You can purchase HD products directly from HD (look up toward the top of the page and click on the 3D/HD logo), from Autoality.com or from Amazon.com

dschribs
07-24-2014, 07:55 PM
What`s a good LC pad choice for this step if using HD polish?

Sent via Tapatalk

Accumulator
07-25-2014, 12:09 PM
dschribs- If you`re merely burnishing/jeweling, I`d use one of the zero-cut Finishing Pads.` There seem to be a number of them even withiin any given line...I do *not* like the ultra-soft, ultra-tight-pore ones though, IME they load up to readily and that can cause issues.` I sorta lean towards "the more aggressive finishing pad that`s not too aggressive" but I understand that`s awfully vague!

showshine59
07-25-2014, 11:02 PM
I ended up using finish kare 303 foam pad glaze with a white LC pad. I bought on a whim as a BOGO. IT is in the same category as M205. Then I went back again with same polish and black LC pad. Fk 303 has little to no dusting. I know its not really jeweled but I feel better knowing I went the extra step.

Accumulator
07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, it`s all about how *you* feel about it, so it sounds good to me.

GonzoBernelli
08-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Accumulator,

Just for grins, I bought a bottle of Scholl Concepts S40 to try out as a final polish on my Estoril Blue S6. `I have been using HD Polish as a final before this, but I`m thinking I like the S40 better. `The "grit" size of the S40 is listed as 7500. `Any idea if the "grit" size of the HD Polish?

Nick

jmsc
08-04-2014, 10:56 AM
I also have used HD polish. The gloss out-performed (in my estimation/eyes) PO85RD. HD polish was also a lot

easier to apply/wipe off.

`

Recently, bought a small bottle of Scholl`s S40 for jeweling but have not used it yet. If it out-glosses HD polish I`ll be very surprised. Like HD all Scholl`s polishes that I have tried are very easy to use.

Accumulator
08-04-2014, 02:33 PM
No idea about the grit size of the Scholl`s, not familiar with it.` Again, IMO it`s all about how the user feels about the product/results, so what works for somebody is good for them`in my book.

The Critic
08-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I also have used HD polish. The gloss out-performed (in my estimation/eyes) PO85RD. HD polish was also a lot

easier to apply/wipe off.

Recently, bought a small bottle of Scholl`s S40 for jeweling but have not used it yet. If it out-glosses HD polish I`ll be very surprised. Like HD all Scholl`s polishes that I have tried are very easy to use.
Be careful of filling - my understanding is that the Scholls polishes are on the oily side. Sometimes, eraser or IPA wipes are not sufficient for removing all of the fillers.

Scottwax
08-05-2014, 02:01 PM
HD Polish would be my choice too. Plus its water based so removal is easy and with an ONR wash, shouldn`t interfere with bonding.`