PDA

View Full Version : 1st Detailing job...a brand new Lexus...couple questions

DigiDan
06-30-2014, 11:38 AM
My neighbor of 8 years has watched me spending countless hours washing and waxing my vehicles in every month of the year (even when it`s snowing outside!)

`

They told me they were purchasing a new Lexus RX, and the conversation went from "oh cool what options did you get" to "I would love to detail that for you", and finally "we`ll just pay you to do it!"

`

This car is being built (as in just in the last week), so when I get my squeaky little hands on it, it will be around 3-4 weeks old.

`

I`d like to give them the full treatment:

`- Hand wash and wipe down

`- Check for contaminants, maybe light clay if necessary

`- Paint Sealant (either Klasse or Vitreous)

`- Wait 24 hrs for cure

`- Collinite Double Coat wax

`- Wipe down with Aquawax as final step, also getting all glass super smooth with the same towel

`

Are there any issues with applying sealants to brand new cars, or is that now just a myth?

`

Thanks!

Dan

tom p.
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Dan, welcome aboard!` Obviously there are many paths you could follow.` I`d give consideration to one of the newer coatings and open up that avenue for yourself and the owner of the new vehicle.

`

If you go traditional, I guess I`d:

`
<ul> Decon
Clay
Polish
Klasse AIO
Klasse Sealant Glaze (x2)
[/list]

No issues working with factory-fresh paint -` - vehicles are cured at hi temps.

DigiDan
06-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Great!

`

One of the best things they can do is routine washes (by hand preferably) to maintain a clean, smooth finish.

`

Can`t wait to get started!

GonzoBernelli
07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Hammer home the concept to the neighbors to refuse the vehicle sold to them if the dealership washes or buffs the paint in pre-delivery. Seriously....

STSInNYC
07-06-2014, 11:29 PM
Good advice from GonzoBernelli!!

`

You might consider two layers of FK 1000P as the sealant, because it adds a sharp clear-coat like look and last for many months when properly applied. You could top with a beauty wax if you like but you might want to see how the sealant looks before doing so. I use FK425 as a topper after washing for a bit of extra protection and to add some snap to the look.

jfelbab
07-07-2014, 08:46 AM
My 2014 RX350 has fairly soft paint. `I`d be sure to use new or impeccably clean wash mitts and toweling to avoid introducing marring. `

`

I used Leather Masters cleaner and protection cream on the leather. `Lexus offers both real leather and NuLux (pseudo leather) options. `

`

If you remove the wheels to seal or coat the inside, be sure to properly torque the wheels back to spec. (76 ft. lb.) `Drive the car around the block a couple times and re-check.`

`

A note about the glass. `My RX had a very rough feeling and difficult to clean windshield (exterior). `There appeared to be a coating remnant of some sort on it from shipping. `I found it to be a PITA to get the windshield clean and streak free. `I ultimately resorted to using a plastic scrubbing pad and APC and followed up with a glass sealant to eliminate the issue. `YMMV.

brownbob06
07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Gonzo hit the nail on the head. Ask thrm to go through a dealership at night and look at the brand new black vehicles on the lot. That should get your point across.

DigiDan
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Well, the job is done.` It took me 2 nights, but performed the following:

`

1st night:

`- Full wash

`- Minor claying where there was a little rail dust

`- Machine Polish with Klasse AIO

`- Machine Seal with Klasse Sealant

`

2nd night:

`- Quick wash to remove the dust

`- Full coat of Collinite 476s

`- AW wipedown of all paint and glass surfaces

`- Scotchguard the carpeting

`- Tire dressing

`

I`m sure there were other steps I could have done, but they were extremely pleased with the end result and still talk about it (that was 2 weeks ago!)

`

They want me to also maintain the vehicle instead of taking it to the local "scratch and rinse" once a week.

`

I saved them money but also got to do something that I really enjoy doing, and also got to drive the RX350 around the block for "proper air drying".

`

Thanks All!