PDA

View Full Version : I came back...

GonzoBernelli
06-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi all y`all,

I used to be a member here 8-10 years ago, then life got in my way for a bit.

`

Just picked up a new Audi S6 in Estoril Blue which the dealership swirled, scratched and spider webbed, wickedly, while in customer prep. `Now I am in the process of removing the mess and getting some Klasse on it one body panel at a time. `It is a miserable job here in the Houston heat, so that only gives me about 3 hours from 7-10 AM. `I find that this particular paint is much harder than the Ford F-150 paint circa 2001-2005. `To make any headway against the mess I must use Menzerna PO85RD and a Lake Country White pad with a Metabo rotary then follow that up with some other polish (number escapes me) but it is the ceramic clear coat favored by the Benz factory. `This polishing has revealed some paint flaws that appears to be in/on the "color" layer beneath the CC, so the dealer will be having to fix those.

`

Hoping to receive some sage advice from those with more Audi experience than I regarding methods and products that I`ve used so far or ought to be using.

`

TIA,

Nick

Dan
06-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Welcome back. 85rd has very very little cut especially on rock hard Audi paint. Klasse is still good stuff but a lot has happened in the last 10 years. Might be time to do some more reading. I would do a test area with a stronger polish and see what happens and then possibly move to a modern compound.

David Fermani
06-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Klasse & PO85RD....Those 2 names tell me that you`re an old school member :) `Welcome back!!

`

As Dan mentioned, lots have changed in the last 10 years in the detailing industry. There are polishing compounds that can quickly level defects while producing tons of great gloss. And all can be easily done with a modern day Dual Action polisher too. Let us know if you`d like some recommendations.`

`

Oh, and lets see some pics of that S6 too!!!!

GonzoBernelli
06-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Here is the S6. `When washing you can see the disk break rotors go rusty...

`

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/GonzoBernelli/_C8N3383_zpsf435a16c.jpg

`

Yes the image is distorted - I used a ZF 15 mm `on my D800E for the shot. `Finished the buffing out the unwanted dealership swirls marks. `Passenger side has noticeable orange peel, so maybe one of these days I will knock them down with denim pads and "modern" polish. `Yes, and product suggestions for Audi paint would be appreciated.

David Fermani
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Great looking S6! Check out this review our forum sponsor Detailer`s Domain created to eliminate that rusty rotor look:

`

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/131305-no-more-rusty-rotors-hydes-serum-rustopper/ (`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/131305-no-more-rusty-rotors-hydes-serum-rustopper/`)

`

You should check out HD Cut & Polish when you get time. They`re my go-to for correction and polishing these days. Works great on hard paint too. Especially with a rotary.`